We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

We are not foodies, but we do like good grub (meaning nothing fancy or to foo foo).

We like to go where the locals go, the normal every day blue collar folk.

We will be in town for a Cubs game and staying in the North Shore area ...so interested in those in the know letting us know their favorites!

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

Pittsburgh is a blue collar town so much of the best food is hearty and/or traditional. There are a few (awesome) places you may consider foo foo but most of our greatest fare is "everyday" type food.

On the North Shore you'll find lots of sports bars that serve typical nachos, burgers, wings, etc. In my experience they are all fine to mediocre and not much difference between them. Others may have different experiences.

For a unique experience I am always recommending the Federal Galley. It has 4 chef incubators where you can order food to be delivered to your seat. They have a full bar and inside and outside seating. I'm currently in love with Michigan & Trumbull, a Detroit style pizza place. Given you're from Michigan, it may not be your thing....El Lugar and Provisions PGH are also good.

For great burger and sandwiches, we recently discovered Bier's Pub. Total neighborhood place with in/outdoors seating. They also house the Mexico War Streets Brewery. Also if you like beer, you may want to check out Allegheny City and Penn Breweries on the North Side. ACB does not have food. Penn has typical bar food and German choices. There is also Max's Allegheny Tavern for traditional German food in a total local setting. Legends of the North Shore is a well regarded Italian BYOB place but we have no personal experience. Peppi's for old school style subs and Nicky's Thai are a few more choices.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 00:51
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

In Lawrenceville (a neighorhood) my daughter likes Franktuary (and really pretty much every restaurant in the neighborhood). She also likes Fire Side and the Harris Grill in East Liberty. If you have a car, these are really easy to get to. And Millie's Homemade Ice Cream on South Highland Avenue.

These are just alternatives to the North Shore just east of the Universities.

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

Excellent, thank you!

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

I'm so glad I asked. Thank you.

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

You might want to order an Entertainment Book, maybe two. Last I checked, they were on sale for $5/each with free shipping. A lot of BOGO's in them. One trip to a venue, restaurant, etc. and you'll basically get your $ back. For restaurants, you can use up to 2 per table. You should receive the books by the time you get to Pitt.

Another option is the Enjoy Book. Might be a little more expensive.

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

Entertainment passbook...great idea and makes me wonder about groupons or restaurant.com! Thank you.

Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions

Max’s Allegheny Tavern. Your staying only a mile or so away. Old school atmosphere bar dining area specializing in German stick your ribs food. Non smoking blue collar place to eat. Look them up.

Reply to: Quick trip weekend of August 17/18/19 good grub questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted