We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First weekend of October

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
First weekend of October

Our kids have a 4-day weekend, so we were thinking of heading back to my husband's alma mater for the Pitt homecoming. Hotels and flights are crazy expensive. I count the Pitt homecoming, Pens first Saturday home game, Steelers/Falcons as the events driving it. Is there something else going on that weekend as well? Or would the confluence of those 3 events drive the demand?

3 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First weekend of October

A Steelers game alone would drive up prices. There just isn’t the inventory of larger cities. Still worth visiting! Airbnb is worth considering if budget is tight. If budget isn’t tight, look at the downtown or North Shore hotels. Oakland maybe if he wants to stroll the campus. Game will be on the N Shore though.

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First weekend of October

Where are you coming from? Have you looked at flying into Cleveland International and renting a car (about a 2 hr drive to Pit), or maybe Arnold Palmer Regional Airport?

Years ago, Pitt's Mayor Murphy got chastised for flying out of Cleveland for city business instead of Pitt. His response (and I'm paraphrasing) - "Cleveland's cheaper and I'm spending taxpayer money. When Pitt becomes cheaper to fly out of than Cleveland, I'll be more than happy to fly out of my hometown."

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First weekend of October

We've flown through Columbus before and enjoyed the drive, but we'll have our kids this time. We're thinking of Labor Day instead. We'll get a Panthers game but no Pens. Hoping we can watch a practice.

Thanks for the advice. It helped!

Reply to: First weekend of October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted