We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

Toronto
Level Contributor
763 posts
2 reviews
Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

very last minute idea to head to pittsburgh this weekend.

Would be myself, my wife and our 8 year old son.

Was wondering what area would be most recommended.

Ideally it would have dining and shopping walkable and with easy access to the ballpark.

Pardon my but I don't know the geography well but we don't need to be beside the stadium, just want to have it simple and accessible and I guess near shopping so my wife can keep busy during the game ;)

Looking for nice fun hotel recommendations as well. Pool always helps for the boy to wind down and be a kid after a long day

Thank you for your recommendations and open to all suggestions

4 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

No idea which hotels have pools (an 8 year old would probably love the Water Steps just past PNC Park on the River Trail) but I would recommend that you stay either downtown or the North Shore.

Both have easy access to many sites, tons of restaurants, PNC Park, Carnegie Science Center/Sportsworks and the benefit of easy access to the T light rail system that is free from the North Shore to the far end of town and a $2.50 fare beyond that.

As for shopping, it depends on what your wife is interested in. I love Shadyside and Lawrenceville for upscale boutiques and quirky shops. Shadyside has some well-known chains like J Crew and Banana Republic as well. Both would require a drive or ride to get to from town or North Shore.

Also the Strip is fun shopping if she is into food and cooking and doesn't want to go far. Lots of ethnic grocery stores and other fun places to shop. On Saturdays and Sundays there will be merchants set up on the street selling all kinds of stuff. A cool store for decor and jewelry is Hot Haute Hot at 22nd off Penn Ave. The Center for Contemporary Craft has a nice shop. In The Kitchen has everything a cook would need.

Toronto
Level Contributor
763 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

Thanks so much for the great advice

Looking at the Westin conventional center, the Sheraton station Square and embassy suites downtown

Any reason to choose one over the other or eliminate one of them from consideration?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

The Westin and Embassy Suites are better located than the Sheraton. If you stay in Station Square you will have a two bridge walk or have to pay for the T to get to PNC Park.

I've stayed at the Westin and while is a kind of bland conference hotel, it is well located between the Strip District and downtown on the Penn Avenue corridor. Also easy access to the North Shore and River Trail. Lots of restaurants nearby. It would probably be my choice.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child

Since this is Regatta weekend, there may be limited availability for hotels in town.

http://yougottaregatta.org/

But if you can find a place, the regatta is a blast!

Reply to: Where to stay in Pittsburgh?First time ever and with a child
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh
Recent Conversations