We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

Westfield, NJ
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

Planning a two to three day trip to Lancaster in mid august. we will do Dutch wonderland first, probably preview the night before, then spend the next day and night at that park. but one day i'd like to really see an Amish farm. Can you think of any place that would be a good match for a five and seven year old boy and the parents!?

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Coatesville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

I would recommend the Amish farm and house tours. http://www.amishfarmandhouse.com. this is their website. Can be crowded so you might want to call ahead and ask if they do reservations. I am local so I never experienced it but know it's a huge attraction in the area, so I would say might must be good. I believe they take you to a working farm and have buggy rides. If they don't have what you're looking for, call and they can probably recommend you elsewhere. Good luck!! Welcome to Lancaster County. I hope you enjoy. I can also recommend good places to eat if need be :). Just remember to respect the Amish!!

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

Amish farm and House might be a good idea, but you need to understand what it is

This property was an actual Amish Farm until the 1950's. Since then it has been a non-Amish owned tourist attraction

You tour the house, which is set up as an actual Amish farmhouse would be. The tour may be boring for your young kids depending on their attention span

The 'farm' is not a working farm. There are farm animals (more of a petting zoo) Amish scooters to try out. There are craftsmen (The non-Amish woodworker gets very good reviews) There is a recreated Amish schoolhouse with a retired Amish school teacher (She is not there Sundays) I believe she is the only Amish person present in the complex

The Amish Farm also offers, for a separate price a Countryside Bus tour. If you take this you will stop at an

actual Amish Farm and one or more Amish run business (Except on Sunday, when you will just drive around the countryside because the Amish will be in Church). The visits will be brief, no more than 20 minutes per stop.

The Amish Farm does provide good information about the Amish, and your kids will probably enjoy the farm animals , but it is not really a 'farm experience"

If you want an actual (albeit non-Amish) farm experience, consider the Farm Tour at Verdant View farms

www.verdantview.com

This is a working dairy farm/bed and breakfast run by modern Mennonites

The "Farmers Apprentice tour allows your kids to milk a cow, bottle feed a calf and interact with other farm animals. It's about 90 minutes and is not offered Sunday

Lil Country Store an Minature Horsefarm is another idea. Its a small Amish owned farm and craftshop where your child can pet about 10 minature horses and take a pony cat ride (I believe rides are $6)

Its at

264 Paradise Lane

Ronks Pa

It is close to Verdant View so you could easily do both. Closed Sunday, of course

Edited: 03 August 2016, 15:46
Mentioned in this post
Ronks
Ronks
Lancaster County, PA
Coatesville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

Thanks. I had no idea how it operates due to not even caring, honestly. I didn't ever find the need to make it spectacle due to having many family friends who are Amish and really they just want to be left alone to do their work. You sure know a lot for living 2 hours away! The mennoites and Amish are slightly different in more modern times, so just keep that in mind while traveling. Good luck.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

Well, I grew up in Lancaster County and we return often to visit family

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster County
Lancaster County
Pennsylvania
Coatesville...
Level Contributor
3 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

That's good! I was actually impressed. Didn't mean it in a negative way. Thanks for the info.

6. Re: Pennsylvania Dutch Farm tour for family w/little boys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2017, 10:47
;