We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

We are taking a trip to Lancaster PA and I would like to get some shoe-fly pies while there. Can anyone recommend a great place to get the best shoe-fly pies?

Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Hello Blondie...this topic has come up here, and you can find previous threads using the search box (note: correct spelling is shoo-fly). As with any food, personal preferences and tastebuds will be the deciding factor, but know that there are different types. "Wet-bottom" means the bottom layer is a gooey, molasses consistency, as opposed to a darker Brown semi moist bottom (Apple butter texture). You will notice that some have a very powdery or crumb top layer, while others are more moist. I'd suggest going to a farmer's market where you can buy several different pies or half-pies to try. Enjoy your "research."

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

birdinhandfarmersmarket.com

This might be a good choice.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Asking a Lancaster Countian who has the best shoofly pie is like asking a Philadelphian who has the best chesesteak- opinions will vary greatly

It's not a difficult pie to bake, so any bakery's version is likely to be at least acceptable

However- heae's some possibilities

Dutch Haven,was the first to mass market the pie to tourists 70 years ago and they are still in business. Its the only food they sell, and they are still very good (the rest of the store is second rate chineese made tourist items) www.dutchhaven.com

My favorite bakery, Bird In Hand Bake Shop has excellent wet bottom shoofly pie as well as very good whoopie pies, other pies, cookies ,sticky buns and other baked goods

They are off the beaten track at

542 Gibbons Road

Bird in Hand, Pa

www.bihbakeshop.com

Closed Sunday

Hope this helps

Edited: 17 July 2016, 17:44
Mentioned in this post
Lancaster
Lancaster
Lancaster County, PA
Bird in Hand
Bird in Hand
Lancaster County, PA
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Thanks so much for your answer. My Dad grew up near lancaster and our family would go back every year to visit. We prefer the wet bottom and cake like on top. We are making a trip over on our way back up from VA beach so it will be a quick stop. I will check out the birdinhand bake shop.

Mentioned in this post
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Thank you for your answer! I will check this bake shop out.

West Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
174 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

My recommendation is McClures Bakery over in Gap.

They offer a full array of baked goods and they'll ship their stuff anywhere.

If you give them a call in advance you can pick up stuff right from the bakery they day/hour it was made.

Furlong PA
Level Contributor
746 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

Wow thats a long way out of your way back to Saratoga. Take a look at the Redners supermarket chains website and see if any of their locations would be more convenient for you. I have seen shoofly at their store here in Doylestown.

(They are a small chain headquartered in Berks County so they carry a lot of "dutchie" items. Your dad can also stock up on scrapple and "Lepnin baloney" awhile.

8. Re: Shoe-fly pies Lancaster PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2017, 10:49