We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

Many years ago (circa 1975), I made my first auto trip to Amish country & Gettysburg. We discovered (at restaurant check-outs) a fantastic way to self-tour the area: recorded tapes (& tape players if needed) that you would start playing as you left the restaurant, then follow the directions on the tape. They would describe the areas you were passing by, "telling the story" of what you were seeing. If you hadn't reached the next turn, you would turn off the tape until you got there, then resume playing. You could stop to visit anywhere along the way for as long as you wanted! We enjoyed using these tapes in both areas!

I'm wondering if there is still anything like this available today? We were in the area a couple of years ago & took the bus trips, which we enjoyed, but I'd like to try the self-tours again, as the person I'm traveling with hasn't done it that way (& isn't too excited about repeating the bus trip.)

conn
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
172 reviews
1. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

The Gettysburg battlefield has couple of nice CD tours sold at the parks visitor center

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

Just wondering - is this something you can play while you are driving through the park & it describes what was happening during the war? Sound effects in the background? Guides you on the tour? (TY for your response!)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

As far as I know the old audio tours are no longer offered.

The tourist website www.discoverlancaster.com has 5 self guided covered bridge tours on their website that you can download The "Northern Amish' and 'Southern Amish' tour both go through predominantly Amish and Old Order Mennonite farmland.

An alternative to a bus tour would be the tour offered by the Mennonite Information Center www.mennoniteinfoctr.org

A Mennonite guide rides in your car for two hours directing you to three backroads Amish Businesses/farms. The tour can, to some extent be customized to your interests. At a total of $53 , its not much more expensive than a bus tour for the two of you

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
164 reviews
4. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

I took the CD audio tour of Gettysburg in March 2016. I bought it at the Visitor's Center. The Gettysburg CD assumes the listener is starting the tour at the Visitor's Center and takes you in a logical route....hitting all the spots you would go to if you had a "real person" as your guide. You end the tour where President Lincoln gave his famous address.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

That sounds like what I'm looking for! TY

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
270 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

Check with your library, they might have it for a 2 week check out

Level Contributor
16 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

There are also apps for Gettysburg available for free that might be helpful.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

Thanks to all for your useful suggestions. Because we will be traveling for several weeks, I doubt that using the library is something that will be possible, although I will definitely check w/them.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

I just noticed that a similar question was asked 5 months ago...these audio tours must have been quite popular, and I'm surprised there isn't a technologically current equivalent available for Lancaster county. Imagine an app that would use GPS to monitor your route and provide appropriate narratives. I may suggest this to the information center folks.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Self-guided audio tours in PA Amish country &/or Gettysburg?

They were terrific! I wish every tourist community had them. You could travel at your own pace, stopping along the way whenever you saw something of interest or where there were tourist sights the tape recommended.

As you drove, the narrator described what you were seeing as you drove along. Often times, they would have you pull off along the road, while they proceeded w/a prolonged explanation. (For example, a description of the main home, the middle home & the dawdi home, plus the barn, who would live in the houses & what was probably happening inside the buildings, including having a fresh-baked pie cooling on the window sill!) Background sounds were also included when necessary to enhance the story!

Some of the many stops along the way that I remember were a pretzel factory & a large indoor market.

The audio-tapes were available at the checkout counter of some of the local restaurants (we got ours at Howard Johnson's), & included a tape recorder if you didn't have one in the car. If I remember correctly, the rental cost was about $7-8. You dropped them off at a stop at t he end of the tape tour.

Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations