We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish Experience

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
65 posts
Amish Experience

Hi everyone

My mother and I will be in New York City from 15-23 August. We were initially just doing to do a day trip from NYC to Philadelphia and Amish Country, but upon doing some research I was thinking about staying overnight in Lancaster to experience everything it has to offer.

We are coming from Australia and our whole Itinerary is set and organised. If i was to do an overnight stay in Lancaster I would have to cancel one night in our hotel in NYC and catch the train.We wouldnt be hiring a car or driving ourselves, we would be relying on public transport.

I was looking at Amtraks website and was thinking of catching the 7:25 am train out of NYC arriving in Lancaster at 10:05am. I was looking at Hotels and ratings on this website and thought of staying at the Comfort Suites Amish Country, which I have found out is 5.7 miles from the train station. The first question is, would it be easy to get a TAXI from Lancaster station to the hotel? Assuming that we would get to the hotel and settle in by 11am I was wanting to learn more about the Amish lifestyle and experience an Amish Countryside tour. I came across two wesbites that offer this in Lancaster

"THE AMISH EXPERIENCE AT PLAIN AND FANCY FARM" (BETWEEN INTERCOURSE AND BIRD-IN-HAND)

http://www.amishexperience.com/index.html

THE AMISH FARM AND HOUSE ON LINCOLN HIGHWAY EAST

www.amishfarmandhouse.com/Visitor_Info.html

Although touristy I thought they looked quite interesting and informative. I was wondering which one would one reccomened? Is one better than the other? And in terms of transport, how long does it take to travel there if we were to organise transport (IE TAXI) from Comfort Suites Hotel to these attractions? Im not sure if taxis are easy to organise around the area and lastly I was wanting some comments to whether you think my ideas are do able??

I thought the next day we could just go exploring around the area before catching an afternoon train back to NYC

Any comments/ideas/ tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou very much!

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Amish Experience

Hello....

Unless you think you would mind driving in the states, I would reconsider hiring a car...you can use taxis but it's really going to add up and you have to wait for them to arrive. If you had your own car you could explore the back country roads and get a much more intimate look at the Amish than at the attractions you're considering.

If you'd really rather not hire a car, perhaps your hotel could arrange transport to nearby attractions.

I'm not familiar with the various places you describe, but here's one I would also look into:

www.800oadutch.com/avillage.html

Without a car, I'm not sure what bus tours would be available, but here's a site that should be able to advise you on that and offer other suggestions.

www.padutchcountry.com

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Amish Experience

I agree that your best option would be to rent a car. There are taxi services in Lancaster County, but you would have to call them for pick-up. Also, the hotel you havre chosen is on one of the busiest parts of Route 30 and you really won't have an Amish or even a 'country' experience staying there.

Renting a car will allow you to take the tour I always reccomend- one offered by the Mennonite information Center where a Mennonite guide rides in your car, dirrecting you on the backroads to Amish Farms and or businesses.

Of course this tour is not offered Sunday, when neither the Mennonites nor the Amish will be engaged in wordly activites.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 20:06
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Amish Experience

As a follow up, if for some reason you can't rent a car, then of the two tours. I would take the Amish Farm. I have not been on either tour for over 20 years,so this reccomendation is based only on the fact that the Amish Farm complex is within a half mile or so of your hotel and thus walkable. This will save you calling a taxi.

Your hotel is also not a bad location if you have no car since it is within walking distance of several restaurants. Most are chains but one- Olive and Jasmine - is a well regarded local Asian restaurant.

4. Re: Amish Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:10
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations