We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amish Country

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Amish Country

What is the best way to get a taste of Amish country, in one day, without it being to touristy? No long tours or visiting touristy landmarks. Thanks

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
990 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amish Country

Are you traveling to/from somewhere--Philly to DC, or along those lines? Maybe that will help people to make some good suggestions of places that are along your planned route. Are you looking for places to eat, scenery along the way, or a short excursion?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amish Country

Sorry for my lack of information. We are driving back from Florida to Canada in April (taking the 15 to the 81), so have decided to spend an extra night in Harrisburg, PA. Have a full day to experience everything. Would appreciate suggestions on any of those topics.

Thank you!

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amish Country

If you hit the area at the right time and really want a great way to experience the Amish; take in a Mud Sale.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amish Country

First, chek the tourist website www.padutchcountry.com It is a great resource and will give yoyu a lot of possibilities. We can provide feedback on specific activities you think may interest you.

However, some possibilities.

The least touristy tour I know is the Mennonite Information Center tour where a Mennonite guide will ride in your car for two hours(or more if you want), guiding you on the backroads and normally visiting a couple of Amish businesses.

The film about the Amish at the Mennonite Information Center is also well done.

A Mud Sale- mentioned above- is a possibility if you are going on a Saturday These are fund raising sales held by local volunteer fire companies. They feature auctions of quilts, crafts, farm machinery,and buggys

The Amish both help run the sale, and attend the auctions in large numbers.

The Website I quoted above has a list of Mud sales. I believe there is at least one each Saturday in April.

For Pa Dutch cuisine I would reccomend the Oregon Dairy Family Restaurant. For a Pa Dutch buffet, Dienners is probably the best. Both are comparatively untouristy although Dienners has been getting better known by tourists in recent years.

Finally, remember that on a Sunday, all Amish businesses and almost all Mennonite businesses will be closed. You will not see Amish working in their fields on Sunday, but you will see many buggys coming to and from church

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amish Country

The county is beautiful this time of year. It is tilling and planting time, so you will see many farmers out working their fields.

Whatever else you do, be sure to take some time to drive the back country roads and admire the farmland.

Also, check to see if it is a market day; there are several farm markets that operate on different days.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amish Country

Thank you so much for all the information.

Certainly looking forward to our visit!

Calabash, NC
Level Contributor
25 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amish Country

If you are in Lancaster County,I would recommend the Churchgown Inn. If on a Saturday night, they can arrange a dinner with a local Amish family. There is a fee. The family prepares everything fresh and dinner conversation is lovely. You get to see how the Amish live and they answer any questions allintheir home setting. Their children are adorable and our family enjoyed the evening.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amish Country

Just note that the B andB refered tgo above is the ChurchTown Inn.

Many BandB's can arrange dinner with an Amish Family. You should ask before you book.

MEADVILLE
Level Contributor
145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amish Country

Since you only have one day, take a look at the Amish Farm/House tour. I think there are 2 in Lancaster. Yes, you will be with other tourists, but a guide takes you through a replica home and explains many customs and beliefs of the Amish. It can be very informative.

NYC
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Amish Country

Make sure you take a ride on the Strasburg Rail Road