We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best meal of our trip

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
388 posts
11 reviews
best meal of our trip

We recently returned from a month-long trip to Australia and New Zealand and stopped overnight in Gundagai on our way from Melbourne back to Sydney. We enjoyed the little town and checked out the attractions, and I wanted to report that--to our amazement--we had the best meal of our whole trip at our motel, the Golden Chain Garden Motor Inn.

We ate a delicious home-cooked meal (a roast lamb dinner with several vegetables) in a lovely room with red table cloths and had a very enjoyable conversation with other guests at the motel. Daphne, our hostess and cook, was a delight. The cost was only $15

We had stopped earlier at the famous Niagara Cafe and had intended to return there to eat, but when we had the offer of a home-cooked meal at our motel we couldn't turn it down. It was wonderful, a highlight of our trip.

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
186 reviews
1. Re: best meal of our trip

Roast lamb is certainly a favourite of many homes or restaurants. Tastes pretty good on the BBQ as well with some rosemary and garlic with some lovely roast veggies

Edited: 03 October 2013, 21:32
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
186 reviews
2. Re: best meal of our trip

Roast lamb is certainly a favourite of many homes or restaurants. Tastes pretty good on the BBQ as well with some rosemary and garlic with some lovely roast veggies

Edited: 03 October 2013, 21:34
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
388 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: best meal of our trip

Sounds great! My husband, who is the main cook in our family, is looking for a great roast lamb recipe. He has one, but it's not as good as what we were served at the motel dining room in Gundagai.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,925 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: best meal of our trip

It's a little ripper of a motel isn't it? I love it! And the dining room should be in a museum!

Reply to: best meal of our trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gundagai
Recent Conversations