We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

Should we break our journey in Gundagai after look see look see/lunch at Blue Mountain? We are driving to Melbourne from Sydney starting our journey at 10am.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

Yes. Sydney to Melbourne is over 800 km and about 10 hours driving by the shortest route via the Hume Hwy/Fwy, without stopping for breaks. Have a look at this inside page. Even though it is in the opposite direction it will give you some idea what you are facing.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c6395/Austral…

I would suggest that you overnight at Goulburn if you have been driving around the Blue Mountains first.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

In a word - yes! If you are having lunch in the Blue Mountains, then you wouldn't get to Melbourne, if you were to drive straight through, before midnight. You will need a break and Gundagai, Yass or Albury would be a good choice.

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

You should definately have a break somewhere.

Are you going to the Blue Mountains at 10am or leaving for Melbourne at 10am?

I drive Sydney to Melbourne regularly, and in fact am off again early Thursday morning.

I leave at 7am and it takes me 4 hours to get to Gundagai. I like to stop there for brunch at the Niagara Cafe in the centre of town. It is quite famous and well worth a visit for it's "olde worlde" charm.

Another 4 hours approx and I have another stop at Seymour to refuel and stretch the legs. Roughly an hour from there - these are rubbery figures, and I'm at my destination.

9-10 hours all up. I like to be on the Ring Road by 4pm-ish to avoid the peak hour.

Put your trip plans into http://www.drivethere.com.au/ and check the driving times and distances,

Cheerz Wabster.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

Perhaps you should have a look at a map of Sydney/Blue Mountains and see where Katoomba is in reference to the main route between Sydney and Melbourne, the Hume Highway.

Leaving Sydney at 1O AM you'll not have much time to have a look about up at the Blue Mountains prior to lunch and then likely want to look some more afterwards.

Say you were ready to leave at 3 PM and it'll take you about three hours to get to Goulburn, that's 6 PM.

www.travelmate.com.au/MapMaker/MapMaker.asp is another site you can use to help you with distances/times/routes.

The drive down the Hume Highway is not the most interesting of drives, a large part of it being motorway style conditions and you might want to look at an alternate route of down to Canberra, Cooma, Jindabyne and along the Alpine Way, taking in Beechworth and/or Bright before getting back on to the Hume Hwy. near Wangaratta or you can stay of the highway and take secondary roads through North Eastern Victoria.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

When you are planning to do this will affect whether or not the Alpine Way route is recommended, ie. you need to check on road conditions re snow and need for taking wheel chains.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

Hi iloveperth,

A trip from the centre of Sydney to say Katoomba where most tourists go (Three Sisters and other attractions such as Scenic World etc), it will take about 2 hours to reach Katoomba.

I'm wondering if you are planning to continue your journey down through the mountains to Lithgow and then onto say Young as a way of eventually connecting back up to the Hume Highway??

The reason I bring this up is that it will take you almost 2 hours to get back down the mountains, cut across towards Campbelltown before linking up with the F5 (Hume Highway).

It seems to me if you are at Katoomba, that joining up with the Hume Highway down past Goulburn may be something you could consider, with an overnight stop at one of our inland towns such as Young.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

The road via Oberon and Taralga to Goulburn is now fully sealed Doug, although it being one to take slowly in places but no need to come back down and across the base to Hume Hwy.

Taking the route you suggest out to Bathurst and then Western Hwy./Olympic Way to say Cootamundra before joining Hume at Coolac is effectively about 20 minutes quicker in throry according to travelmate.

Might also be more chance of getting lost I suspect and/or mishaps being more country roads.

Probably a good idea actually for perthlover to have a decent look up around the BM to stay the night up there somewhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

iloveperth

I've actually driven on the road from Katoomba to Young and also approached Young from the Hume Highway passed Goulburn, so I know that the roads aren't bad at all.

May I suggest that you have a look at google maps to help plan your trip regardless of which route you feel most comfortable in taking.

Using google maps or a similar program such as the one that the previous poster used to calulate time/distance, will allow you to drag the route through towns that you want to go to, as well as work out the distances and times (which are based on the average time and assuming there's no hold ups etc).

Happy planning!!!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

tks bigw, i was considering Goulburn but i couldnt get any rooms there. i have tried gundagai too but no luck. as for wagga wagga it is about 45km off the highway and i dont know whether it is worth the trouble. i read about your last trip with your family and friends and thank god you all reached Syd safely. i never thought i should book ahead because

i am not so sure about the time and journey but after reading your post, looks like i definitely have to plan and book ahead. my travelling period is from 21/9-28/9.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Sydney to Melbourne

hi navy35, is yass a good place to spend the night. i am considering this place because in sept there is a festival in gundagai and all the rooms are fully booked. tks

Get answers to your questions about Gundagai
Recent Conversations