We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

Hello,

We're arriving in Terminal 3 via Virgin Atlantic in September. I'm trying to figure out the easiest hotel to stay in based on which terminal we'll be flying out of to get to Dublin Airport.

We're thinking of staying at the Premier Inn at Terminal 4, but right now, it looks like we'll be flying out of Terminal 5 with British Airways.

That just seems like too much bouncing around with little kids!

How should we proceed? Which would be the most logical path to get to Dublin Airport (best combination of hotel and Departure Terminal from Terminal 3)?

Thank you for any advise you could give.

6 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

If Dublin is your destination, why aren't you flying there direct? That would clearly be the easiest route.

As far as I know (but you can check using skyscanner or similar websites), the only airlines flying direct from Heathrow to Dublin are BA and Aer Lingus. BA operates most of its flights from T5, although a few come into T3. Aer Lingus operates out of T2. Your Virgin Flight will come into T3. T2 & T3 are only a short walk from each other so that would make most sense for a connecting flight. However as you are talking about a hotel, I assume that your inbound flight to LHR arrives too late for a connection the same day to Dublin. If that is the case then it doesn't much matter whether it is T2 or T5.

For T2/3 the nearest hotels are on the Bath Road.

https:/…heathrow_hotels_t1.html

In terms of eae of access, T5 has the Sofitel attached to the terminal or there is the Thistle which can be accessed via the driverless Pod cars from the terminal. The Sofitel is very nice but probably the most expensive hotel at Heathrow. The Thistle is fine for a night but the rooms are very small & I don't think they have family rooms.The other T5 hotels require bus transfers (or a taxi).

https:/…heathrow_hotels_t5.html

You might also find this useful to explain how you get between terminals at Heathrow:

https:/…travel-between-terminals

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,609 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

We usually fly Aer Lingus out of T2 (nice choice of restaurants)

Here are a couple of convenient hotels you could consider. Easy transport from T2/T3 on the Underground (5-10 minutes, +5 to T5)

content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

Hilton Garden Inn near Hatton Cross Tube Station.

Travelodge near the Hounslow Central Tube Station. We stayed there one night and it is a clean, inexpensive (most nights) and convenient hotel (Ibis and Ramada Inn nearby.)

Much easier to travel to any of these than the Bath Road "airport" hotels in my experience (stayed there also)

If you flight arrives early in the day at T3, have your considered staying in Windsor? Just 20-30 by taxi or prebooked car, a nice alternative.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

Thank you, Charlie! Those are great ideas. I was thinking of the Novotel T1, T2. T3 to stay or the Softel, but I don't think the Sofitel has large rooms...

So I think what I should do is try to book with Aer Lingus, stay in Novotel when we land and fly out of T2 the next day. We've been to the UK before, and staying at an airport hotel to acclimate before moving on has always been a good move for our family.

London
Level Contributor
12,020 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

Getting from the Premier Inn at T4 to T5 is simple. The public buses (free around the airport) stop right outside the PI and go to T5.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

Ref your post three.

Yes, but this time you aren't visiting the UK, you would have done so much better to fly direct to the country you are visiting. And if only visiting Ireland you would benefit from pre clearance on the return trip.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB

We're actually spending a month in the U.K.; there was a change in plans because of timing and how certain events fell so instead of traversing across England first, it had to be Ireland. Plus, we snagged some nice business class seats which oddly enough ended up being hundreds cheaper than economy the rest of that month. I looked into all the scenarios, and the kids could only handle one transfer after a long flight. If you think about it, we may have to spend an extra two hours versus going to Ireland straightaway--but at least it'll be two hours after we're well-rested, which means less chance of getting sick.

Reply to: Best Airline/Terminal to fly LHR to DUB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted