We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge in evening, with car

sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge in evening, with car

I only have a couple of evenings, after working during the day in Winchester.

The visiting hours is 9am-8pm and must enter 2 hours before closing.

If I have a car, and arrive around 6:30, can I park in the free parking lot, hike to the fenced circle, and stay as long as I want?

Alternatively, someone mention there is a place along the road that one can see the monument from afar?

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

Err -- must enter 2 hours before closing equals 6.00pm, which is before your arrival time ! Why would you having a car make any difference ?

There is a view from the nearby road (but no parking) - bring binoculars

Edited: 23 June 2016, 16:57
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

I haven't visited Stonehenge since new visitor facilities etc. But the web-site seems clear, 1) the car park isn't free 2) the entrance is about 20 minute walk from the stones, and they are not going to let you in after 18:00.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,640 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

Actually the car park by the new visitors centre is free if you wanted to go to the NT shop or the coffee shop but not to the Stonehenge....the only place to park to see the Henge is off A303......I see cars parked there all the time, but there is a gate at the end of the road and you will not be able to enter...there is a patrol over there.

https://goo.gl/4VdZ6T

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

""Parking: during peak times a £5 refundable parking charge is collected on arrival. This is refunded at the admissions point when purchasing your ticket. The £5 fee does not apply to English Heritage and National Trust England Members (providing you show a valid membership card) or those who book in advance.""

Seems to be the reverse of what Tilly says, but I concede it is free outside peak times, but pretty pointless if you can't enter. And can you enter car-park after 18:00?

Edited: 24 June 2016, 01:55
england
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

If I have a car, and arrive around 6:30, can I park in the free parking lot, hike to the fenced circle, and stay as long as I want?

No

You can go to woodhenge english-heritage.org.uk/visit/… and take a long hike to where you can see the stones, but not visit the site

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

Maybe too late, we walked from Amesbury to Stonehenge through the fields, all the way up to fence of Stonehenge, it was free. On the way there we walked along the highway, crossed at the gate, walked in. On the way back we walked through the fields and crossed the highway at the three cottages just across from Stonehenge Rd (I think thats what it is called) in Amesbury. Once we got to the stones, we hopped on the bus going back to visitors centre to pick up our passes. I beleive anyone can walk up to the fence around the Stones, its getting closer that you need a ticket for.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stonehenge in evening, with car

if you have time you can walk from amesbury west amesbury (less traffic from the west amesbury road ) or even wood henge the problem is with a car parking their is a byway that cars sometimes use not always open but you are takeing your life in your hands getting in and out of there off the A303 walking is safer but you need the time and no good in the dark

Reply to: Stonehenge in evening, with car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amesbury