We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge from Windsor?

Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge from Windsor?

Hello Travelers. I will visit the Windsor Castle with my husband and two boys (13 and 8) in August. We will get there by train. We would like to visit Stonehenge. I was thinking of renting a car for a day from Windsor. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,265 reviews
from US$ 126.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$ 149.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
835 reviews
from US$ 163.16*
US$ 191.90
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,001 reviews
from US$ 82.50*
3 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge from Windsor?

Do Stonehenge as a separate day trip. Take the train from London Waterloo to Salisbury and take the dedicated bus link out to Stonehenge. You can also spend time in Salisbury which is a beautiful historic city and worth a few hours of anyone's time.

www.thestonehengetour.info

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge from Windsor?

I agree with Wirewiper. It may seem like a good idea on paper, but in reality you would probably short change everything.

Windsor Castle takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours to visit, and is busiest at 9:45 when it opens. (That's when the coach tours are also showing up).

If it is a day when there is a Changing of the Guard, the street in front of the Castle will be closed until it is over.

Local car hire places close at 5 or 6, (much earlier on weekends) unless you trek over to Heathrow and rent from them. You'd be hard pressed to drive the three hours round trip, and visit Stonehenge for 2 hours (since they built the new visitor center, that's the time it takes) in time to return the car, unless you didn't eat, and never stopped for breaks.

Salisbury is a lovely place to visit; I would combine them for a more leisurely day out. If you do have a car when you go out to Stonehenge, consider visiting Avebury as well.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury

It's about 30-40 minutes from Stonehenge.

Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge from Windsor?

Thank you very much. I appreciate your feedback

Reply to: Stonehenge from Windsor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amesbury