We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New System at Stonhenge

West Chester...
Level Contributor
16 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
New System at Stonhenge

I have noticed in earlier posts that with the new visitor's center at Stonhenge, you need a timed ticket to view the stones. Is there a way to get a ticket to enter into the inner circle? it was unclear from previous texts if that is still an option.

We were planning to take a sunrise or sunset tour in September, but all the tours are already sold out during the time we will be in Salisbury. So I expect it may be better for us to do the tour on our own, but am a bit overwhelmed in trying to plan to see the sites at West Kennett, Avebury, etc. Which sites would be best for us to see on our own? Are there brochures or guides available at the sites to give the history of each?

20 replies to this topic
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New System at Stonhenge

The Overseas Visitors Pass doesn't cover your parking fee! But once you've paid for parking at one NT property, during that day it covers all your additional parkings at other NT properties.

There are different rites to the NT members and an Overseas Visitors Pass.

Yuri.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New System at Stonhenge

This is all very useful information. I'm going to be staying in Bristol for a conference and would love to visit Stonehenge if I can. It seems like from what I've read both EH and NT passes are accepted at Stonehenge? What is the difference between the two? Which is cheaper? Can I pick either of them up in Bristol?

Thank you.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New System at Stonhenge

Randy. Do not make a mistake, an Overseas Visitor Pass may not cover it. Check thoroughly first.

If you are thinking to obtain these passes for Stonehenge only, do not bother. But if you plan to visit few more properties belonging to either one of these fine organisations, buying such pass can be extremely handy.

Yuri.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New System at Stonhenge

See Post #6 above which gives links for NT and EH overseas visitor pass information. Both organisations state it is only economic to buy card if visiting more than 1 property. You can order online and collect at first property visited, if it is staffed. National Trust has more properties with admission charge, including Tyntesfield near Bristol. Blaise Hamlet in central Bristol is free to visit, and as such doesn't require membership.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New System at Stonhenge

Ah yes, of course. That makes sense. I don't need a visitors pass unless I plan to go to a bunch of historic sites. I don't think I will have time to visit a lot of sites but would make time for Stonehenge. For that I guess I have to buy tickets online for a specific day and time. Is that correct?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New System at Stonhenge

Randy. Your query is perfectly legit, but we do kidnap somebody else's thread this way. I suggest, if I may, please post your own thread on this. Is there a possibility for you to rent a car? How many days do you have for the area?

A tip: Google Stourhead! See whether you like the pics.

The whole area of Cotswolds - Wiltshire - Somerset is fantastic. This Summer, we are planning our second family trip, after smashing success of the last Summer's one.

Yuri.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: New System at Stonhenge

Something's just occurred to me with the talk about car parking on here and on another thread.

Even if you do have to pay (they haven't had the 'collectors' out yet so far this year, but no doubt that'll happen soon enough) - you get the money refunded when you buy a ticket. And even with a NT or EH pass, you still have to queue up to get your 'free' ticket.

Anyway, I'm there again on Friday, so I'll try to remember to ask and have a definitive answer for you all.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
16 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New System at Stonhenge

Thanks for all your help. We are really looking forward to our tour of England in the Fall.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: New System at Stonhenge

I wonder whether NT parking sticker on dashboard would cover it?

Yuri.

Derry Hill
Level Contributor
12 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: New System at Stonhenge

When I was a child I remember visiting and touching the stones. You can still do this but you have to be part of the gang who celebrate the summer solstice.

Reply to: New System at Stonhenge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amesbury