We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Hello!

Is there such a thing as free spots for the inner circle in the early morning tours?

I checked the prices for this and they are a ripoff!!!

I'll be in London in December, is it a good time to go to stonehenge?

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,261 reviews
from US$ 126.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$ 149.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
833 reviews
from US$ 162.98*
US$ 191.70
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,000 reviews
from US$ 82.40*
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Uh, no. The whole point of special access is that it's 'special' - only 26 people and being allowed within the stone circle which isn't allowed during the day and therefore is something people are willing to pay more for!

Is it a rip-off? It costs a few pounds more than normal admission prices, and you are allowed to go back in during normal opening hours if you wanted to make use of the audio guide and visit the shop. I can think of many many other things that might be considered a rip-off in London.

I wouldn't go to Stonehenge in December 'just' to see the stones. I have a feeling you'd be disappointed. But combine it with a visit to Salisbury, and it's a nice day out. If you really, really want to see Stonehenge, it wouldn't matter what month it was. But you have to realise that it's a windy place during summer, and in December it's likely to be really windy AND rainy. I'm not sure if you're looking at special access or normal visiting. I've done both, and the morning special access we did in December - it was dark, freezing and the rain was horizontal! My American friend lasted 15 minutes and declared herself 'ready to go'! But then I've been on other days when it's been bitterly cold, but the sun's out, and it's made for some really interesting photos.

Does that help any, in making a decision?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Thanks a lot!

Well, we are going to London in December to visit some family and, unfortunately, theres no other time to go...

I REALLY would like to see the stones but what you said about the weather sounds terrible (I'm from Brazil and not used to this kind of cold...).

The bad thing about this early morning visit is that youhave to book it in advance not knowing how bad the weather is going to be...

Anyway, keeping this in mind,what would be your advice for me?

cheers

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Thanks a lot!

Well, we are going to London in December to visit some family and, unfortunately, theres no other time to go...

I REALLY would like to see the stones but what you said about the weather sounds terrible (I'm from Brazil and not used to this kind of cold...).

The bad thing about this early morning visit is that youhave to book it in advance not knowing how bad the weather is going to be...

Anyway, keeping this in mind,what would be your advice for me?

cheers

4. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 21:05
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Sorry pal if I bothered you.

I was politely asking for someone else’s advice.

If you don’t have anything good or useful to say, save your time (and mine) and don’t write anything.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

If you do go for special access, how will you get there? It's just there's no public transport to Stonehenge, and it will be too early for the tourist bus from Salisbury.

I'm afraid it is one of those things, that IF you want to do the special access, then you need to book as soon as you can, and cross your fingers for at least reasonable weather. I don't know exactly when you're coming, but you know there's no special access between the 19th - 26th December?

But as flanneruk so inelegantly put it, you just have to dress for the weather... but hey, nobody comes to England for the good weather, do they?! Bring a flask of coffee or something hot with you (not that you can eat or drink during the special access). If you really want to see them, then go for it! Will you have another opportunity?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the information!

I'll be in London from December 24th to January 3rd. We intend to drive to Stonehenge. Do you think it is better to spend the night somewhere closer?

And, yes, I am aware the I'll have to be dressed for very cold weather, I just wish for a "no rain" day.... :-).

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

At that time of year, you might be better off going for the standard tour later on in the day when it has had chance to get a bit warmer. Dawn at Stonehenge in December could be more depressing than atmospheric !

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

Whereabouts in London would you be starting from? The www.theaa.com site suggests a journey of about 2 hours, although that'll be longer if you're coming from the East side of town. So if you don't mind an early start, then leaving about 5.45am should do it ... But of course it doesn't matter if you're late arriving... you'll still be allowed in. Have you checked availability? They do get booked up months in advance, and you only have 5 days, really (27th - 30th Dec or 2nd Jan.)

Whether you do the special access or go during general admission times, you won't need more than an hour there, which is why I'm strongly recommending you include a visit to eg Salisbury or Winchester as well.

10. Re: free spots for early morning Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 13:47
Get answers to your questions about Amesbury