We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stonehenge guided tour

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Stonehenge guided tour

Is there a number or web site in which to book a guided tour of Stonehenge in its entirety? I do not need travel or hotels.

I do not seem to be able to find info on a guided tour as they seem to all include hotels and trips from London and on to Bath.

6 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

Travel yourself and use the excellent audio guides available from the visitor centre. Either drive direct or take the train to Salisbury and use www.thestonehengetour.info - no need for a guide

Bastrop, Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

I thought only guided tours allow you to walk among the stones. If you are on your own it’s at some distance. Is that only what the tour salesmen want you to believe?

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

Ah, there are things to discuss here....the access times that allow you into the stones take place before and after normal opening hours, that means there is no public transport so you need to drive yourself or be taken in a tour bus just to get there .

You can book this access independently if you have transport, noting that numbers are limited and they may not happen everyday. english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…

(You can even download an audio tour to your phone )

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

The audioguide is excellent; a must-use IMO.

I disagree with post #2 comment "If you are on your own it’s at some distance". One "does" get near the stones a distance of only about 10 yds. When walking clockwise around the path, one finishes up here as evidenced by Google Streetview below.

https://goo.gl/kJVAQz

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

As others have mentioned it's easy to DIY - using public transport ie you take the train to Salisbury and pick up the HOHO bus outside the station which will take you to Stonehenge. It's also worthwhile spending some time in Salisbury itself.

If you wanted an inner circle access visit then you're probably more likely to want to do that with a tour / guide as there are no audioguides to inform you, and the exhibition centre may not be open, and frankly there may not be other options other than to go with a guided tour. (they get a lot of the availability sewn up before individuals get a chance to book)

But no, for general admission you don't need to go on a guided coach tour.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stonehenge guided tour

I think the link KWUK gave is very realistic. Surely thats not too far away?

Reply to: Stonehenge guided tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amesbury