We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

Eastern Shore Va
Level Contributor
60 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

Has anyone attended? We will be in the area this September 22-23 and thought it would be a unique experience. We will arrive in Salisbury via train from London and plan on renting a car. We want to visit Wells and Glastonbury while touring this area of England. Is it better to stay the night in Amesbury or Salisbury? Is it ok to drive to Stonehenge morning of September 23 or would it be best to use bus/taxi? Thanks for any suggestions!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,669 Reviews
from US$ 123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,248 Reviews
from US$ 125.80*
Best Seller
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
545 Reviews
from US$ 85.70*
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

I guess it's all part of the passing of the seasons. Without clocks or calendars, the equinoxes and solstices help divide the year up. And guessing even more, maybe around the spring equinox would be a good indicator of being the right time to plant certain crops, and the autumn equinox - well, that's around harvest time. Plus all the spiritual significance of 'equal day and night'.

Just my 2p-worth.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

<<Plus all the spiritual significance of 'equal day and night'.>>

Is it not the case that the equal bit, I.e. 12 hours of each only exactly occurs at the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn on that day? If I have read the tables right at Stonehenge there is about 12.25 hours between sunrise and sunset on 22 September which must mess up the ancient chronometer! ;-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

I know it's not straightforward because the earth's orbit round the sun is not circular, which has all sorts of marginal consequences - for example, the time between the sun reaching its highest point on consecutive days is not exactly 24 hours. That's just the average, it varies from day to day and season to season. And I understand that the equinox is the mid-point, when the earth's axis is tangential to the sun, so there is equal day and night across the globe.

But, unlike the solstices, I don't understand what there is to actually see.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

there is ment to be no stopping on the A303 but that dose not stop people doing it

and every year there will be someone killed so remember the A303 is just not safe to stop

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

dewy55. If I do get to the spring equinox, I'll let you know.

I assume it's just like the summer and winter ones, but with smaller numbers. ie people will go and 'welcome' in the sunrise. Which will irritate the heck out of me, like it does at winter solstice. Why are people greeting the rising sun? It's just wrong (in December). Done it twice now, and wandered around muttering to myself and just not 'feeling' it. This year (you know what I mean) I happened to be at Stonehenge on winter solstice, but in the late afternoon. All the morning worshippers had gone. There were about a score of us on that green walkway thingy by the Heel Stone, and we watched the sun set. Ok, so there were clouds, and the sun disappeared before we could see it behind Stonehenge. But I got goosebumps. And not just because it was cold. THIS is what the winter solstice is about.

Sorry. Small rant there. But any opportunity to go inside the circle without having to pay £33 for their inner circle access visits (I think it will be) p.p. (that's shocking, English Heritage, btw. How can you justify that?) has to be good.

Edited: 12 February 2017, 18:01
16. Re: Autumn Equinox at Stonehenge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2018, 22:48