We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberia to San Juan del Sur

Totnes
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Liberia to San Juan del Sur

What is the best way to get

10 replies to this topic
Totnes
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

Basically want to get from airport to SJDS as cheaply as possible.

Also what is situation with visas and re-entry?

S.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

get a bus to the border and then a shared taxi to San Juan del sur. and for Britts you only pay the US$10 dollars visa and you will be fine

3 posts
3. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

How are things there currently? I plan to arrive next weekend. Are most businesses closed? Shelves empty? My brother and I are really looking forward to seeing Nica, but we are a little hesitant due to the political crisis.

Totnes
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

Hi

Thanks for the answer.

Do you know anything about how often the buses go to the border and how long they take?

S.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

@Stephen J.

From the airport you can take any bus coming from the coast and end up at the bus terminal in Liberia, The trip to Peñas Blancas takes around 2 hours and 3 to 4 Dollars, every half and hour, From 05:00 am to 8:00 pm

Once at the border take a shared taxi for US$5 if four on the taxi or US$20 private or the buses going to Rivas, and ask to be stop at "LA VIRGEN" from there wait for the other bis heading to San Juan Del Sur.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

@Trip816169.

Hello from Nicaragua.

Now a day is better to go around the country we do not have any kind of roadblocks and all of the national parks and reserves are open, of course easily 70% of the business are close so i recommend to check which hotels you will stay if they are open, many people involved in tourism are thinking to reopen in Mid November but do not know yet for sure, we do not have any kind of shortage on the markets and supermarkets so it is fine to shop around if staying on an airbnb or Hostel with kitchen.

Of course there is still some represions towards the people that is protesting against the government but there has not being any tourist harm, robbed or anything as a matter of fact the government is promoting tourism so people come, but the only place i will say to stay away is Managua because there is where all of the protest take place. As a matter of fact last sunday on a national protest the government did not allow the people to protest and send to jail at least 30 people, thanks god most of them are out now.

Places as Granada, Ometepe, León, San Juan del sur, SAn Juan River, The Corn Islands and even some places in the north are good to travel around of course you will see few people right now because also is the lowest of the low season but people is always interesting to come to Nicaragua, take in consideration that Nicaragua was the safest place to travel in CentralAmerica and still is as the situation might change but the people not.

But please if coming use common sense.

Feel free to ask any other question is always a pleasure to help.

byronortega@hotmail.com

+505 88039312

Enjoy Nicaragua

3 posts
7. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

Thanks so much Byron for all your great advice! We are going to head to San Juan Del Sur tomorrow late morning from Liberia. Your advice makes me feel much better. I really hope to get to know and see your beautiful country! I'll keep your info handy if we have any more issues! Thanks again!

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
8. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

Hi can i ask how your trip to san juan was? ive booked fliguts for december to fly into san jose and out of manuaga, obviously the things ive read in the media have made me a bit scared to visit nicaragua now.

Totnes
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

I fly in two days.

Still not sure whether to go or chill out in Guanacaste.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Liberia to San Juan del Sur

get a one day trip from Guanacaste, just to soak your feets.

Reply to: Liberia to San Juan del Sur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted