We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortage in supermarkets

2 posts
Shortage in supermarkets

I'm going to be traveling to San Juan del sur next month and I'll be staying in a rental. I wanted to know if there was any shortage of groceries in the supermarkets in San Juan del Sur. Thank you.

15 replies to this topic
Managua, Nicaragua
10 posts
1. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

I have some friends living there and there haven't been any shortage in the supermarkets lately!

2 posts
2. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

Thank you

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

Nop, everything is fine that that the Government remove by brutal force some roadblocks

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

The supermarkets are not seeing any shortages as most people are not going out. It’s safer to stay in doors than to go out shopping.

ometepe
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

There is no shortage in Ometepe since the beginning of June when there were roadblocks in the majority of the country. Since about mid June the SW of Nicaragua has been pretty calm, peaceful and had no shortages....

Montreal, Canada
1 post
6. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

Hello Angel !

I would like to hear from your experience in San Juan Del Sur considering the actual situation in Nicaragua.

Did you drive from Managua airport ? Did you experience any difficulties ?

Thank you !

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

There is no difficulties at all moving thorughout the country, all barricades ahve been removed, supermarkets are sotcked up as well as local markets, gas station are orking normal.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

08/08/2018.

After more than three months in these problems, the repression towards the people who where at the roadblocks or those who protest on the streets including Doctors who helped the injured of the protests continue to be persecuted, the economy will probably fall to 1% growth or even worse at -1%, travel alerts are still on to level 3, but the government intends to pretend that if nothing has happened, the same story that has happened in places like Venezuela, There are no more roadblocks but if it goes out to the streets to protest luckily the government no longer goes out to kill its own people, the jails are crowded with missing people, the dead have not stopped for the same reason that there are many missing persons, you can drive to many places although there is presence Paramilitaries in a certain area and are not very friendly since neither you see their face and they do not have uniform, it would be irresponsible to say that it is good to visit Nicaragua, although now a day you can circulate much better and you can go to the tourist places, but still feel an air of insecurity and even more at night. most of the hotels are closed, as are many bars and restaurants, and even the tour guides, unfortunately, many of them had to emigrate or work on anything else.

If you want more updated information it will be a pleasure to help you, feel free to get in touch with me at my email byronortega@hotmail.com or to my Whatsapp 505 88039312.

Kind regards.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

I have been here (15 mi north of SJS) for 1.5 months (it's now early August). There are no shortages of anything, except tourists. I spent the last 5 days driving around SW Nicaragua (where you will be), including SJS. Things are very quiet. The beach towns, especially, are generally untouched by the unrest. Businesses do close early -- not because of safety but because there is just no one out and about. Getting to SJS by private-driver is no problem. Nicaraguans will thank you for still coming.

2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Shortage in supermarkets

For SJS do you mean San Juan del Sur? We are thinking about getting a private driver from the airport to San Juan del Sur in January... Flying in from the states. How do you think safety is for bringing our 8th grader? Also what about travel to and from Rivas? Thank you!

Edited: 27 August 2018, 06:36
Reply to: Shortage in supermarkets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted