We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

My 6 girlfriends are planning a getaway in March and heard about the Overleaf Lodge. With 7 of us going we would most likely need two or three rooms. Also, any recommendations of places for dinner?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

Yes, my wife and I have stayed at Overleaf Lodge several times, most recently this past July. Nice place! Furnishings are comfortable (though I wouldn't say luxurious), and I think it has one of the best settings on the coast, especially during the winter, when you're likely to be storm-watching. Unless you're sharing beds though, you'd probably need 3 rooms, as I don't know that they have a room configuration with more than 2 beds. And I don't remember any hide-away beds either, so you might end up drawing straws for a roll-away.

Not sure what to recommend for a nice dinner, since our favorite closed earlier this year. Maybe the Drift Inn? The restaurant at The Adobe is the only one I know of with white table cloths, but having heard/read that doesn't necessarily reflect quality, we've stayed away.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

There is a new restaurant in the building where the River House was, called Ona Restaurant, run by the people who own the Heceta Lighthouse B&B. We haven't tried it. No website yet.

newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php…

The Adobe is not a "white tablecloth" place, LOL. We've been eating there for over 20 years and it runs good and bad. Currently it is in a bad phase, IMO, at least it was the last time we ate there in July of this year. Although we have eaten just appetizers/small plates in the lounge with very good results a couple of times since then. Great view.

Drift Inn has good food, IMO, but they are always very busy so come early. Nothing even approaching fancy decor, but an interesting menu. The music (too loud for us) starts about 6 pm.

Your best bet would be to drive into Newport, about 30 minutes on a straight highway. Lots of choices of all types in all price ranges.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 07:47
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

"The Adobe is not a "white tablecloth" place...."

Whenever we've walked by on the the beach side, tables have been covered with white (or maybe pink) linens; looked pretty fancy. And, at least the view is nice!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

The Adobe sure had white tablecloths and cloth napkins when we ate there! I'm no foodie, but we enjoyed what we ordered and would go back again.

Insofar as the Overleaf is concerned, it was nice but overpriced...we would opt for the Fireside next time. I am bemused by comments about the Overleaf's location....there are three motels side by side along that stretch of beach, and IMHO no one has a better location than another.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

Is the Fireside owned by the Overleaf?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

"Is the Fireside owned by the Overleaf?"-----Yes, they are both owned by the same company.

And Bob is right, the Adobe, Fireside and Overleaf all sit on the same basic piece of real estate.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

Yes, same ownership.

The Adobe has had maroon table "runners" for years, with white linen napkins. They simply place the runners over the bare, masonite tables.

They do have white linen tablecloths for weddings and other special events when requested.

Since I didn't know it they had changed since we were last there in July 2010, I called them today and asked :-)

Maybe they use the white tablecloths for brunch - I didn't ask that.

Deejay128, not sure what your budget is or what you're looking for in lodging, but there is also the oceanfront Silver Surf , which has a beach you can walk on.

http://www.silversurf-motel.com/

Here is a complete list for Yachats lodging:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22876-Yachats_…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

"The Adobe has had maroon table "runners" for years, with white linen napkins. They simply place the runners over the bare, masonite tables.

They do have white linen tablecloths for weddings and other special events when requested.

Since I didn't know it they had changed since we were last there in July 2010, I called them today and asked :-)

Maybe they use the white tablecloths for brunch - I didn't ask that."

Well, I'm glad we got that squared away! Guess it's time to have my eyes checked though........

Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

We were just there this weekend and ate at Heidi's Homemade Food and Italian Restaurant, a really nice Italian place across the street from the Post office. which is a block off Hwy. 101. We found it when there was no parking on the main drag and a 1/2 hour wait at Drift Inn. I loved the local mushroom lasanga, the wine was great and not too expensive.

Check out Yachats Inn. Just south of town. There are some newer "luxury condos" that should accomidate a group. We always stay in the original section, which has nice kitchenette suites with wood burning stove- firewood provided. That section is older, a little care worn. Still nice for the price.

10. Re: Anyone stayed at the Overleaf Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Yachats