We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Trip Planning

Hi,

My parents are visiting from overseas and they cannot drive in USA. I was thinking of planning a trip to Portland for few days. Since they cannot drive, its important that they go to a city which has easy and economical local transportation (something like NYC). Any suggestions?

Is Portland a place where one can travel freely using subway and cabs. How is winter in December?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Trip Planning

Portland hardly seems a Dec destination to me. It will be chilly at best. We do have a fairly good bus system which can get you to many places in Portland. but to me not really user friendly. Our light rail system does access a few key places like from airport to downtown, but not even close to NYC system.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Trip Planning

Have your parents already visited San Francisco?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Trip Planning

Winter is iffy in Portland. Sometimes just rainy and a bit chilly, other times snowy and cold. In all cases it is a very walkable city. If you are here to be part of the urban experience the Streetcar, MAX and cabs will get you very close to almost anywhere. If you are here to see the natural beauty of the Columbia gorge, etc., the weather may be an issue and you definitely will need a car for excursions out of downtown. Hope this helps!

1 post
4. Re: Trip Planning

San Fransisco is a better place with many things to do. I Use lift or uber everywhere for 3 days and the costs very minimal. One day we take the tour bus for wines tasting costs only 100$ but worth the money.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
389 reviews
5. Re: Trip Planning

Totally agree on SF as a better option than Portland for winter visits. Its transportation system is excellent and their mass transit passes are a super deal. We purchased weeklong passes for under $30 (good for buses, historic trolleys and cable cars) and the first day used them for trips that would have normally cost $35 each.

Although SF can be a bit chilly or foggy, you can usually count on it being a little better than Portland's during the same time period.

6. Re: Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2016, 10:46