We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

malibu
13 posts
Save Topic
Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

Last night my husband and I decided to book a trip to Portland and we arrive tomorrow! So now I'm in quick plan mode. My husband is a huge beer fan so I wanted to make sure we visit some great breweries and pubs. I'm looking for recommendations for a couple of breweries to do tastings and a couple of pubs with great beer selections and great food. We tend to like to go to less popular/touristy places. For instance, it seems like Deschutes might be a little too touristy for us (from what I have read). We are staying downtown near Washington and Broadway. Thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

First of all, welcome to Portland!

Breweries:

Deschutes CAN feel 'touristy', but they DON'T skimp on selection or quality... I say GO! Make sure to sit in the bar area and try to get a seat at the actual bar and talk up your server (if they're not crazy busy) - chit-chat, ask for samples, talk up the beers (tip well ;) too!). They're used to 'tourists', but I've found they're much happier to talk with & serve 'beer lovers'.

If I'm going to ONE brewery for good food & beer, it's Hair of the Dog (61 SE Yamhill); it's an easy walk or quick cab ride just across the Morrison Bridge from downtown. Their beers are awesome and I love their food, including the brisket, short ribs, 'Chuck Norris' wings, brussels sprouts and meat/cheese plates.

Pubs:

Your hotel is just a couple blocks south of one of the best, Bailey's Taproom (213 SW Broadway); they have 20 taps of almost all local stuff plus about 100 bottles. They DO NOT serve food, but you can order delivery from the Mexican place (Santeria) across the street or bring something in from any nearby restaurant or food cart. For a second pub, I'm torn between suggesting a 'classic' like Horse Brass Pub (4534 SE Belmont), an English pub with great beer and atmospher, or..... APEX, an upstart beer bar that can be loud and rude, but has GREAT beer taps and outdoor seating, or..... Henry's Tavern in downtown (NW 12th @ Burnside, 2 blocks from Deschutes), with a more 'chain' vibe, but still 100+ beers and housed in the old Henry Weinhard's brewery.

You don't say how long you're staying for, but if it's into the weekend, I highly suggest attending the Fruit Beer Festival at Burnside Brewery (E Burnside @ 7th) or, at least, participate in some event around 'PDX Beer Week'.

http://www.portlandfruitbeerfest.com/

http://pdxbeerweek.com/

Cheers,

Brian

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

Just realized I only gave you pubs with great beer and NOT necessarily great (or any, in a couple cases!) food... well, Henry's has good food, especially when it's discount-priced at happy hour. Regardless, another couple suggestions:

Grain & Gristle (NE 15th & Prescott) - a restaurant co-owned by Alex Ganum, head brewer at Upright Brewing (BTW, if you have time on Friday night or Saturday/Sunday afternoon go to Upright -240 N Broadway IN THE BASEMENT ~ be forewarned they have weird hours and are only a tasting room). Anyhow, love the food at G&G especially the nightly Two-Fer special (a splittable dinner for 2 with beers for $20).

Also, try the food at Burnside Brewing (mentioned in my first post re: Fruit Beer Fest) or at Breakside Brewery (similar name, not related). Breakside is in NE Portland, maybe 10 minutes from downtown, so a little further out but worth exploring. We love their food, especially the hearty burgers, loaded nachos and fat mussels... also their interesting beers.

B

Edited: 06 June 2012, 21:58
malibu
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

Thank you SO much!! These are awesome suggestions. We will definitely check out some of these places as well as Fruit Beer Fest. You are getting me exciting to get to Portland and have a beer!

4. Re: Brewery/Pub Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:46