We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

HI, Me and my husband are visting Portland for the 1st time.

Dates: May 25th- May 30th

Interested:

Biking around the city since its considered as the best Biking city in US.

Hiking half a day at Mt. St. Helens or any other Mt. you would suggest.

Driving by the coast...day trip...where do we go till on Route 101 & what are the places not to be missed.

We would like to visit the most scenic places in & around Portland.

Where should we stay, looking for a budget B&B ($75-$100/day)?

Thank You

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

I'll leave your Portland questions to other's, but as for the coast, I'd recommend you take hwy 26 west to hwy 101, then travel south to as far as Tillamook and take hwy 6 back to hwy 26 and into Portland.

Stop in Cannon Beach, visit Ecola State Park at the northern edge of town, then Oswald West State Park, about ten miles south of Cannon Beach for a short (~1/3 mile) walk to one of the most beautiful beach settings along the coast.

Continuning south another 4 miles (make sure and stop at one or more of the many pullouts on Neah-Kah-Nie Mt along the way), swing down into Manzanita and follow Laneda Ave (the main street) all the way to the beach.

Heading south from Manzanita, you'll pass through Nehalem and Wheeler, both small river towns with some unique shops, then Rockaway Beach, Garibaldi (a working port on Tillamook Bay), Bay City and finally,Tillamook.

In Tillamook, the Tillamook Cheese Factory, the largest in the US, is a popular stopping point as is the Blue Herron Cheese Factory, just a mile south. If you have an interest in aviation, the Tillamook Air Museum located just a couple miles south of town, might be worth a stop. It's located inside a WWII dirgible (blimp) hanger that is the largest free-standing wooden structure in the US.

Along hwy 6 on your return to Portland, is the Tillamook Foresty Center.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

From Portland to Mt. St. Helens and back to Portland, allow at least 5-6 hours, including a visitor center stop and must do time at Johnston Ridge Observatory (don't leave without seeing the film and its dramatic conclusion). Any hiking would involve additional time, so figure a whole day for Mt. St. Helens.

Another day can be spent doing the Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood Loop.

…usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5227071.pdf

Finding lodging in your budget might be a problem, especially over Memorial Day weekend and during the Rose Festival. You might try staying at one of the airport motels and using public transportation into the city from PDX. That would save you parking expenses, take care of breakfast and still give you easy access to the Gorge, Mt. St. Helens and, although it'd be a bit longer you could still get to the coast in a couple of hours for your coastal daytrip.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

In Portland, you might check with The Georgian House B&B in NE/Irvington neighborhood. A couple of their rooms are in $90/nt range (pre-tax)... My wife and I stayed there quite a few years ago when we were planning our move to Portland and enjoyed the home and its nice location.

http://www.thegeorgianhouse.com

For biking (rentals), here's a list of places: portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm…

and if you need a map of routes/trails: portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm… (click on the area(s) you're interested in for more detailed printable maps)

Oregon
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

slangrana:

Regarding the coast, dengay had some excellent suggestions. I would add in Seaside, Oregon as a fun, kitschy, touristy town which is right on the Ocean. Driving along Hwy 101, especially near Oswald West State Park is spectacular. There are also numerous trails in the area which you might want to research, but, just driving in a big loop as dengay suggested and stopping along the way will be an all day adventure.

Instead of hiking at Mt. St. Helens in Washington, I would suggest taking the truly beautiful drive along the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. There is so much to see and do along that drive, especially if you went from Portland to Hood River and back, that I won't mention everything but will instead provide the link below.

http://www.crgva.org/

Enjoy your trip.

P.S. I plan on being in Boston and Cape Cod next week for the first time. Looking forward to that trip!

Melksham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

I see folk have already replied and we have to agree with all their recommendations! We stayed at Georgian House several times and it's great, good breakfast, friendly innkeeper, comfy rooms, 5 min walk to bus into Portland City Centre. Places not to miss are any of the brew pubs (good value food, great beer); Chinese Garden, Rose Garden and Japanese Garden (if you're interested in gardening, if you only have time for one make it the Chinese); Mount Hood; Multnoma Falls and the Columbia Gorge. If you have time for a trip on the river then do - beautiful views and very relaxing. If you like books you MUST go to Powells City of Books - we've never seen so many new and used books - its a whole block! The coast is amazing too, as you can probably tell we love Portland and would visit even if our daughter hadn't moved there and we "have" to visit (all the way from England).

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions!!!

Had some more questions:

Didn't realise that it would be snowing at Mt. Hood. hence hiking is not an option for us. Would we still be able to drive to the Johnston Ridge Observatory?

Any suggestions for the best Whale watching sights during the Memorial Day weekend?

Would it make sense to start a day driving to Seaside and then travelling down on 101 highway till Newport, staying the night, next day going to Florence to see the Sand Dunes and Cape Perpetua and then drive back to Portland?

@ Eatandtravel 2: Please let me know if you need any information on Boston.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

You can usually see whales at Otter Crest and Yaquina Head. The latter requires a fee to enter but also has an interpretive center and the tallest lighthouse in Oregon.

Memorial Day is traditionally the 3rd busiest weekend of the year on the coast, so book ahead wherever you plan to stay.

Portland -> Seaside -> Newport will be about 5 hours drive with no stops. Newport -> Florence -> Portland is a bit less. Due to heavier traffic this weekend, those times may be optimistic! But yes, it's doable.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
155 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

I don't have much to add but I did want to tell you that I was at Mt. Hood 2 weeks ago, and it wasn't snowing and it was a beautiful day with the most incredible view of the mountain. I didn't see where some hiking could be done.

Also, last week, went to Silverton, about 1/2 hour out of PDX, and the falls there have many hiking trails and it's absolutely gorgeous there!

Have a great vacation here!!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

The Columbia River Gorge NSA has many hiking opportunities.

Stop in at Multnomah Falls and they can get you set up with brochures and hiking maps.

MrsO

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help to plan 5 days itinerary in & around Portland

Thank you for all your suggestions.

So here's what my itinerary looks like as of now:

Day 1 (Sat) : Portland City Visit the weekend market & bike around

Day2 (Sun): Drive to Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood & if we have time then St. Helens to Johnston Ridge Observatory.

Day3 (Mon): Early morning drive on US 26 to Bend then Crater Lake and then spend the night at Roseburg.

Day4 (Tue): Coast Drive all the way to Seaside

Day5 (Wed): Bike/walk around in the city

Ofcuz everything is weather dependent.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 20:07