We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

Greetings! I’m looking to drive from LA to Portland at end of June for 8-10 days. I have an itinerary for once we reach Crater Lake but need some suggestions for Northern California into Oregon. We will be with our 14 year old and 11 year old. Looking for things to do and accommodation tips. Thank you in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

If you have an itinerary from L.A. to Crater Lake you will already have traveled through northern California and into Oregon, so I'm not clear about what you're asking. Also, are the 8-10 days inclusive of your time leading up to Crater Lake or after CL? Are you coming up via 101 through the redwoods or I-5. And do you have reservations at Crater Lake?

Please give us the complete picture. Will you be using the 8-10 days to return to L.A. or continuing elsewhere? Are the 8-10 days you want our help with totally within Oregon?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

I don’t need help once we get to Crater Lake. I need help from San Francisco to Crater Lake. We don’t have reservations for CL- do we need just to visit for the day?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

If you're not overnighting at Crater Lake you don't need reservations. For SF to Crater Lake you should post on the various northern California forums, Including for Redwood National Park if you're taking 101. It's 5 hours from SF to Eureka, 7 to Crescent City (longer if you add Hwy 1 along Mendocino coast). From Crescent City to Crater Lake is about 4 hours.

Coming up I-5 Is faster, but not as scenic.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles to Portland Oregon

We can give you some suggestions, Nadine D, but need to know which route you'll be taking? Redding and Yreka on I-5 have some interesting things to do... the redwoods on 101 have more.

Here is the main California forum:

https:/…ShowForum-g28926-i29-California.html

To find the Redwood NP or other forums, use the drop-down list where you see "Jump to a more specific forum", which is just above the green "269,000 topics from our community".

Reply to: Los Angeles to Portland Oregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted