We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Seafood

S S
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Purchasing Seafood

I am going to be visiting the Oregon coast from Arizona and wanted to know if I can purchase fresh seafood from the fisherman at a good price and bring it back home with me. If so where should I buy from. Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,472 posts
1,111 reviews
1. Re: Purchasing Seafood

Since you posted in the Newport forum, I'll assume that's where you will be visiting.

There are several fresh fish markets: OceanBleu, Fish Peddlers, Local Ocean, and South Beach Fish Market. The last one is in South Beach south of the bridge; the others are on the bayfront.

Purchasing fish directly off the boats is possible. The F/V Chelsea Rose (also The Barge) sells as do some others. Usually you will just see small signs around Port Docks 3-7, at the bayfront.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Purchasing Seafood

When you say "bring it back home with me" do you mean to wherever along the coast you'll be staying...or Arizona? If the former, no problem. If the latter, you should talk to the larger seafood operations along the bayfront to see if they'll flash freeze it and ship it for you or overnight express it on a future date. If you think you'll just keep it in a cooler and drive it home or check it as baggage when you get to an airport...well, it won't be fresh by the time you'll be ready to eat it.

Some of the charter fishing ops do that for their anglers. Maybe you can work something out with them.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Purchasing Seafood

What is the best time of the day to be at the docks to buy fresh catch of the day? we'll be there in 2 weeks - getting more + more excited about the fresh catch seafood! Thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
300 reviews
4. Re: Purchasing Seafood

No set time because there are so many variables. Look for a boat that has a banner proclaiming "Fresh Fish" or similar or sign on the dock directing you to a boat.

Much as I love seafood I can't see going through the hassle of bringing it back. You got to figure that Phoenix gets fresh fish from LA Harbor in seven hours and six hours from San Diego.

If you want a real local treat get a place that deals with local catch, they're rare, and keep an eye out for Ling Cod. The most notable local catch is Dungeness Crab and there is a lot of locally farmed oysters. Dishes made with smoked salmon is a Northwest tradition although the salmon is mostly Alaskan.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,472 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: Purchasing Seafood

>>If you want a real local treat get a place that deals with local catch, they're rare<<

There are several fresh fish markets: OceanBleu, Fish Peddlers, Local Ocean, and South Beach Fish Market.

SS, not many of the coastal towns have a real fishing fleet. Newport does.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Purchasing Seafood

We'll be looking for the Ling Cod and smoked Sablefish (black cod) if we can find them, and some Dungeness crab if available. Only to eat while in Oregon. Thanks for the info.

Reply to: Purchasing Seafood
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport