We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oregon coast to crater lake

california
12 posts
Save Topic
oregon coast to crater lake

Hi- we will be making a trip to Gresham by air. We decided to rent a car and travel the up into seattle and then down the oregon coast. Does anyone have any suggestions are where we should stop and how many days we should take? Right now we are committed to 4 days in gresham for family, and then planned to have another 2 weeks on the road. Is this enough time?

Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

yes it is Depoe Bay : )

Hotels would certainly make things easier. An RV is a great idea, but you may have difficulty getting into the state parks this late in the game. They book up very quickly. You would have a much easier time getting a tent spot.

For us, part of the fun of camping is having fires and roasting marshmallows, playing games, bike riding and walks around camp. I'd take it any day over a hotel, but we take a lot of gear and we do eat out a lot.

You might try getting a yurt in a state park, but they are most likely all rented too, unless you get lucky with a last minute cancellation.

I didn't know about the construction on the bridge at Beverly, glad to know about that! It does however have very easy access to the beach under the road, and you can see and hear the ocean from B loop (think it is B).

Beachside is a fabulous little park, but tough to get into as the other poster said. I forgot about it.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

I think you are making a wise choice to stick with staying in hotels. As roxrog points out, camping is great fun when you come equipped to do that. Trying to sleep in a tent that is small enough to carry on a plane loses a lot of its romance when a rain squall blows in around 2 a.m. Then it becomes just darned uncomfortable.

half brit's suggestion of www.101milebymile.com is a good one. It lists all the cities and towns along the coast and accomodations in each place.

There are numerous hotels, inns and B&Bs that have oceanfront or ocean view accomodations. Of course, oceanside accomodations are more expensive, but perhaps you might want to splurge for one night. And yes, do make reservations ASAP for July. Some places also require a 2 night minimum in the summer.

Here are some nice ocean side accomodations that I would recommend.

Lincoln City: D Sands Condominium Motel - right on the beach- (All rooms have beach view with patio or balconey. Beach is lighted at night - can build bonfires on the beach)

Inn at Spanish Head (hotel with several stories that start at the beach level and entrance is up on the bluff next to the highway.)

Newport: Tyee Lodge B&B (all rooms have ocean view and there is a trail to a nice small beach with tide pools.)

Depoe Bay: Channel House B&B (gets very high rating in the Best Places to Kiss in the Pacific Northwest.

On the bluff overlooking the ocean)

Yachats - Overleaf or Adobe Lodge or Sea Quest B&B

All oceanside.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Definitely make reservations in July!

What is you approximate budget?

There are some decent places that are ocean view that won't "break the bank" so to speak, if your budget does not stretch to ocean front.

The Overleaf, for example is about $180 up, I believe. But, the same folks own the Fireside next door which has ocean view rooms for $115.

In Newport, The Waves and The Whaler both have good ocean views and are across a very quiet street from the ocean, and both start about $80.

Cannon Beach is pricey, although even there you can find older places that are reasonable and very near to the beach. (Ecola Creek Lodge is one). Most places there do have a two night minimum.

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

How far is it from Portland to:

Astoria via Hwy 30 is approximately 2 hrs (96 miles)

Seaside via Hwy 26 is approximately 1 hr (79 miles)

Cannon Beach via Hwy 26 is approximately 1 hr (79 miles)

Nehalem Bay via Hwy 26 is approximately 2 hrs (84 miles)

Garibaldi via Hwy 26 to Hwy 6 to Hwy 101 is approximately 1 ½ hrs (90 miles)

Tillamook via Hwy 26 to Hwy 6 is approximately 1 hr (74 miles)

Lincoln City on Hwy 99 then to Hwy 18 is approximately 2 hrs (88 miles)

Depoe Bay via Hwy 99 then to Hwy 18 is approximately 2 ¼ hrs (103 miles)

Newport via I-5 to Hwy 20 is approximately 3 hrs (114 miles)

Toledo via I-5 to Hwy 20 is approximately 2 ¾ hrs (107 miles)

Waldport via I-5 to Hwy 34 is approximately 3-1/2 hrs (136 miles)

Yachats via I-5 to Hwy 34 is approximately 3 ¾ hrs (146 miles)

Florence via I-5 to Hwy 126 is approximately 3 hrs (164 miles)

Reedsport / Winchester Bay via I-5 to Hwy 38 is approximately 4 hrs (185 miles)

Coos Bay via I-5 to Hwy 38 is approximately 5 hrs (212 miles)

Gold Beach via I-5 South to Hwy 38 to Hwy 101 South is approximately 6 hrs (290 miles)

Bandon via I-5 to Hwy 42 approximately 5-1/2 hrs (236 miles)

Brookings – Harbor via I-5 to Hwy 126 to Hwy 101 is approximately 7 hrs (320 miles)

How long does it take to drive the entire Oregon Coastline (no stops)?

Approximately 10-12 hours. The average driving speed along the coast will be approximately 50 mph.

Can I have a fire on the beach?

You can, but the Oregon State Parks have very strict rules. We also suggest you check the regulations of the individual beach you are visiting. Any specific rules for that beach will be posted at its entrance.

* Use small pieces of wood only. Large logs are prohibited.

* The fire must be west of the vegetation line, NO EXCEPTIONS.

* Build your fire away from the beach grass & piles of driftwood.

* Extinguish the fire with water. Don’t just bury it. Doing this will allow the fire to remain hot and continue to smolder for hours. This could also cause someone to get burned.

We ask that you please follow these simple rules to help keep our Oregon Coast beautiful.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Driving to Astoria from PDX take 1-5 to Longview/Kelso then HWY 30 to Astoria. I can do it in under 2 hours, so the 2 hours is a good estimate.

There are Cabins you can stay in at the KOA in Warrenton (across the road from Ft. Stevens) about 10min drive or so from Astoria.

What types of places would you want to stay in? Fancy, Nice, Affordable, or just a bed..

I have eaten at nearly every restaurant from Astoria to Cannon Beach if you want advice, otherwise check out my reviews, I haven't had a chance to review them all.

I would guess a must would be seafood for you. I had a write up about what type of seafood is best where.

But for some reason it didn't get published.

Here are some-

Clam/Seafood Chowder - Yummy! in Seaside is now #1

Prawns - Kim's Kitchen in Hammond/Warrenton, also Silver Salmon in Astoria

Clam Strips - Bigfoots in Seaside

Most places that offer it have similar scallops, bay shrimp, bay clams.

Seafood Lazanga - Guido & Vitos Seaside

Shrimp/Prawn linguini - Guido & Vitos Seaside

Here are some of my lists that might help

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3469-Cannon_Be…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2420-Astoria_A…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2374-Cannon_Be…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i13508-Seaside_…

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Gosh, even without all the stopping points for views, photos, exploration, I'd have trouble experiencing an average speed of 50 mph in summer. Perhaps it can be done, but going through towns, signal lights, traffic, backing up behind RVs, cars pulling on and off at viewpoints, etc., suggests to me otherwise.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

All you gotta do is go like h**l when you get on those open stretches, voyaging, lol!

In high summer, 40-45 is a better average, once you add in all the towns and getting stuck behind an RV.

[In defense of the RV drivers - of which I am one - there are not *nearly* enough passing lanes or paved pull outs!]

But I personally detest the drivers of any vehicles who speed up along the double lane, then darn it, slow right back down in the single lane, without letting others past. Grrr.

california
12 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

Wow... a lot of information in a very few posts. I will have to take some time to digest it all. I was hoping that I could just drive and stop where I felt like it on the coast, but due to the time of year, I guess I will have to book my rooms in advance. I will definately check out some of the places you all have recommended.

Since it takes 10-12 hours to drive the length of the coast, I assume that 2-3 days will be enough time for this part of the trip. Just curious- if you had to pick 2-3 stops to spend the night at, which cities would they be? (I planned to spend anywhere from $75-150. a night, but am willing to splurge a bit if worthwhile.) My husband just wants a bed, he is more interested in the drive and seeing the sights.

I intially planned to drive from Gresham to Washington and then down the coast, but think maybe I should end the trip in Washington. This way if I have extra time (with my 14 days) I can maybe go into Victoria, or check out some of the islands off of Washington.

Thanks again...

19. Re: oregon coast to crater lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 17:50
Get answers to your questions about Gresham