We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ashland

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Ashland

Hi All,

I will be driving from Ashland, and Florence looks nice for a night, then I continue to Cannon Beach the next day. I am looking at both the route and the Riverhouse Inn. Once I park the car I want to be able to walk anywhere. Is Florence a good midpoint for Cannon Beach? Thanks for any suggestions on route to Florence and hotel.

4 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ashland

It's about perfect in all ways. Florence's Old Town area, which Riverhouse Inn is at, is a very nice place to spend a very pleasant evening. It is only a couple of blocks long but has several excellent restaurants, nice shops and a wharf side boardwalk at one end. Florence is just South of the most beautiful stretch on Highway 101 on the entire West Coast that being from there 25 miles to Yachats.

Take Highway 138 from Sutherlin to Elkton where you will pick up Highway 38 to Reedsport which is on Highway 101. Florence is a quick 25 miles from Reedsport. Highway 138 and Highway 38 is the most direct route from points South on Interstate 5 to the mid coast of Oregon but is also the most scenic of all the roads between Interstate 5 and the coast.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ashland

Thank you for the route. I have never explored the southern part of OR coast so I am looking forward to it.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ashland

As you near Gold Beach, have your camera ready...

www.lensaltiel.com/blog/seastacks-

Oregon
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Ashland

bobmrg, unfortunately the OP won't be going through Gold Beach (or the southern Oregon coast) if they're going the route suggested in #1 above. They will cut over to the central Oregon coast at Reedsport. The southern Oregon coast is indeed very beautiful from Brookings to Port Orford, but the only way to see it from Ashland would be to take US-199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City which would probably almost double the driving time to Florence.

Reply to: Driving from Ashland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted