We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunes to Ashland

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Dunes to Ashland

I'm doing a tour where we stop near Florence to do the dune buggy ride. When I leave there I head to Medford to spend the night. Do any of you think taking 38 and 138 is better than going to Coos Bay before cutting over to Roseburg? I would like to stay on the coast but can't remember what the scenery is towards Coos Bay. Its a long drive anyway but scenic would be better. Interested in any thoughts.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunes to Ashland

Purely personal preference, but IMHO OR-38 along the Umpqua River is much more scenic...plus your pax might enjoy a stop at the elk viewing area just east of Reedsport.

blm.gov/or/…

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunes to Ashland

38/138 is MUCH more scenic and quicker, and the (boring) I5 drive is only about 15 extra miles.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,428 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunes to Ashland

>>I would like to stay on the coast but can't remember what the scenery is towards Coos Bay<<

Rather dull, since you're inland behind the dunes. Crossing the Coos Bay bridge is pleasant, but Hwy 38 is much more scenic than Hwy 42.

It's fine for the bus, but there is one narrow bridge that is a bit tight if you meet a big truck or RV. It's straight, just narrow with the old 10' lanes.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunes to Ashland

thank, its a new itinerary as we head to Ashland for the night then Crater Lk the next day. I've gone before but our overnight was in Coos Bay. Thanks for the advise.

5. Re: Dunes to Ashland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 08:48