We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

My son has rented a house in Charleston, Oregon. Family includes 2 boys (age 9 & 11)+parents+grandparents. Besides Wildlife Safari, fishing, & dune-buggying, what are suggestions for fun family things to do? Crater Lake is a possibility but is a far drive for rowdy boys! What about the Oregon Vortex? Is Prehistoric Gardens still around? Are there "cool" things to do in North Bend/Coos Bay? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Hi,

The Vortex and house of Mystery is fun (at least to me) The Oregon Caves should be fun too. It is 55 sw or Grants Pass where swimming in the Rogue River (or tubing) is fun too.

MrsO

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Thanks. I didn't know about swimming in Rogue River--only rafting and jet-boating. We might do the jet boat from there because I believe it is only about 2 hours long. I've lived in Oregon all my life and never been to the Oregon Caves so we might check that out, too.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

A Marine Sciences Center just opened on the 21st...

oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/05/u…

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Thanks, I didn't see this article! This is perfect for grandson #2.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

There is a park across the street from 6th downtown, and we used to swim where the Savage Creek joins the Rogue and Rogue River, the town.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Be sure to go out to Shore Acres. The younger set should enjoy the big waves - try to time it at high tide. There are also gardens which some of your family may enjoy. Go on out to Cape Arago as well. You can swim pretty safely at Sunset Bay as it is protected from the big waves but the water will be *cold*!

Coos Bay just opened their brand new huge county museum. I haven't been there yet but the old small one was very interesting so I bet the big new one is as well! There is a boardwalk in Coos Bay right along the bay/northbound 101 where you can see and touch several kinds of boats including old coast guard boats, plus get fresh fish & chips.

There is horseback riding on the beach in Bandon ... you might like to visit at least one lighthouse. Umpqua lighthouse is not real impressive in the daytime (although they do give tours), but at night the red & white lights bounce off the surrounding hills and it's rather fun to see.

Yes the Prehistoric Gardens is still there :-)

Charleston to Grants Pass is about 2½ hours one way via Hwy 42 and I-5; Oregon Caves adds another 45 minutes or so.

Level Contributor
36,349 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

The jet boats are very fun! Take the Quick n Scenic ride with Hellgate Excursions. Have fun! 😎

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Good. I've never been to Shore Acres, Sunset Bay, or Cape Arago. The only southern coast place we've been is Gold Beach. We're NATIVE Oregonians, so we know how frigid the Pacific is here! The Coos Bay boardwalk sounds nice--especially fish & chips.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

Thanks. Hubby & I have done the all-day jet boat from Gold Beach but I think that's too long for the boys.

10. Re: fun family activities from Charleston Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2017, 03:47