We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No reservations?

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
No reservations?

I'm traveling with my two teenagers this summer and I'm wondering if Washburne tends to sell out. We have the option of arriving on a Thursday or Friday. Well be traveling from the Redwoods in No Cal, so it's not a very long drive and we could arrive in the afternoon right around check in time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No reservations?

Summer Camping+ Oregon Coast+ Thursday or Friday=reservations Yes!! to guarantee a spot you must have a reservation particularly at the state parks. I'd advise to get them as soon as you know when you are coming...

Redwoods to Washburne seems like a longer drive? Note that 101 from redwoods north is only a two lane road. There is so much to do and see between Redwoods and Washburne- I can guarantee you will get there well after check in time.

Edited: 09 May 2016, 00:49
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No reservations?

Thanks Chinookgirl, it sounds like you've spent some time on the coast. I've never been and am looking forward to it. My question is specifically about the Washburne campgrounds, which does not take reservations. I'm wondering if anyone has advice about whether it would be best to arrive on Thursday or Friday.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No reservations?

Washburne is first come first served and I know friends who loved to camp there and said they always got there early in the morning. But my knowledge is second hand and pretty dated. This is Dengay's area and hopefully he'll come along soon and let us know. A well placed phone call would also work.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No reservations?

sorry didnt realize there no reservations possible at this location-sort of unusual for the coast SPs... enjoy your trip :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No reservations?

Hi Amy S, welcome to TripAdvisor. Yes, the coast is beautiful... I've lived here for many years :-)

There are over 100 RV parks and campgrounds along the Oregon coast! Assuming you are tent camping? Curious why you chose Washburne?

Not sure where in the redwoods you are starting, but with roadworks and summer traffic, it's about 4 hours from Crescent City without stops, but there are soooooo many beautiful and interesting places to stop!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No reservations?

Hi Half-Brit, I actually just started researching a campground for the southern/mid coast. We have 4-5 days between the Redwoods and Silver Falls. All I have to go by is Internet research at this point, but I'd love suggestions. 4 hours sounds about right. We're used to driving up to 10 in a day, so 4 doesn't seem all that long. We have a trailer, so we're looking for a suitable site. Full hookups aren't necessary but they're nice to come across every so often, especially since we'll be on a long road trip. Any suggestions anyone has for a nice spot that's not too crowded are welcome!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No reservations?

Thanks oregonpoppa! I'll give them a ring

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No reservations?

Washburne is one of a number of state park campgrounds that is on the *east* side of Hwy 101. So to get to the beach, you have to cross the highway and walk a fair distance. That's why I was wondering why you selected it!

If you click on the link below, you'll find a TripAdvisor Traveler Article that will give you a list of campgrounds and RV parks that are closer to the ocean or a bay, if that is of interest to you. If you scroll down, you will also find info about state, county and Forest Service campgrounds:

https:/…Water.Rv.Parks.And.Campgrounds.html

The link below is another TripAdvisor Traveler Article that is a list of just about all RV parks and campgrounds on the coast. You can see that around Florence, there are quite a few!

https:/…Campgrounds.And.Rv.Parks.html

We're long time RVers and have stayed in or visited nearly all the RV parks & campgrounds on the coast. In Florence, we liked the Siuslaw River Marina one, since it is easy to walk to the old town part of Florence. But being in town, it's not a "country" type of campground.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No reservations?

Carl G Washburne is one of the parks I managed for more than 15 years. If you have the option of arriving before mid-afternoon on a Thursday, you will be almost guaranteed of finding a spot. Later than that could be problematic.

While the campground is located East of hwy 101, you DO NOT have to cross the highway to get to the very long and somewhat underutilized Beach as there is a short paved path that follows China Creek under a highway bridge at the North end of the campground. The other advantage of the campground location is it is out of, what can be a very persistent and cold north wind directly along the beach during the summer!

Good luck in your travels!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No reservations?

Thanks so much Dengay!