We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

My boy and I will be going to the Sand Park this summer.

I am not familiar with this area, at all.

Can folks recommend other activities nearby or north or Florence that we might like?

We like hiking, birding, watching sea life.

We have about five days.

Thanks.

Mac

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

Are you talking about taking your kid on a dune buggy tour at Sandland on the north side of Florence or Sand Frontier (I think I may have screwed up their names) just south of Portland?

You should go on the jumbo guided buggy. Too dangerous to go out on your own if you aren't experienced and know your way around the dunes, which have 300+ft dropouts and where it's easy to get lost, especially if it's foggy.

You might also enjoy seeing the insect eating cobra lilies at Darlingtonia Botanical Garden also on north side of town and tour Heceta Head Lighthouse.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
300 reviews
2. Re: Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

Sandland and Sand Park are two different businesses.

The segment of Highway 101 from Florence to Yachats is spectacular in scenery. Haceta Head Lighthouse half way between Florence and Yachats is a "must see"

At Newport is Oregon Coast Aquarium, a first class attraction. The Bayfront District at Newport is a sort of mini-San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf.

Going South is the Elk Viewing Area just East of Reedsport on Highway 38.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

Within an hour of Florence north & south, you'll find lots of things to do and see. South, Reedsport has the Discovery Center in addition to the elk viewing area. Another half hour south brings you to the North Bend / Coos Bay area with the new museum on the bay and the boardwalk with boat exhibits. A drive out to Shore Acres might be of interest since even at low tide there are massive waves that crash against the cliffs.

Not sure if your son has seen a covered bridge, but there is a nice one up Yachats River Road in Yachats.

Newport is about an hour north and has several things you might be interested in -- Hatfield Marine Science Center, the aquarium, boat tours on the bay, maybe the oyster farm just inland. The bayfront is still a working bayfront with fish plants and forklifts and such, plus there are the wild sea lions at Port Dock 1 where you can safely see them from about 15' away. Don't miss going out to Yaquina Head and climbing up Oregon's tallest lighthouse. If you like beer, Rogue Ales has a brewery tour which I believe is kid-friendly.

Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

Thanks for all the comments.

I think we are set now for what to do.

Now to find lodging...

5. Re: Sand Park for 9 year old and Dad, then What Else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2018, 08:48