We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal drive this summer

Seattle
Level Contributor
38 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal drive this summer

Based on a couple of postings I reviewed it looks like a drive this summer from Ashland to the coast and north would be via I-5 to Grants Pass, OR199 to Crescent City and then north on US101 to, perhaps, Coos Bay-North Bend for the night. It appears we could camp on the beach at Horsefall Beach in the Oregon Dunes NRA. It seems to be about 8 hours from Ashland to Coos Bay via I-5, OR199 and US101. Is this a reasonable estimate of the time if we are taking our time and stopping at scenic viewpoints? Are the Forest Service campsites at Horsefall Beach the best choice for a night on the beach? Are those reservation sites? We'd like to spend a day on the beach so where we camp would be an important choice to provide a full day's recreation. We would drive the next day to Waldport and take OR34 to Corvallis. I'm guessing that is about 6 hours, although OR34 looks mighty twisty so it might be really slow. Your comments please.

6 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal drive this summer

Are you camping every night ? Type or camping: R/V , tent ? Site needs: dry, hookups , showers.?

Route: Crescent City is in the Redwoods but a lot is just South of there. Is there a particular interest in Corvallis ?

gp1
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
655 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal drive this summer

Hi ruby98103

"It seems to be about 8 hours from Ashland to Coos Bay via I-5, OR199 and US101. Is this a reasonable estimate of the time if we are taking our time and stopping at scenic viewpoints?"

Do you mean in one day? If so this is not even close to a reasonable estimate of the time .

Have Fun

GP

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal drive this summer

That's 5 hours of driving time alone. Doable but what are the objectives ? Hard to imagine someone going to the Redwoods and not spending some time there. For first time visitors whose Southern most point is Crescent City I immediately suggest going a bit farther South toward Eureka and then backtracking so as to enjoy the Redwoods more.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal drive this summer

Substitute Bandon for Coos Bay/North Bend, neither of which have much to recommend them.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
805 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal drive this summer

I agree with substituting Bandon for Coos Bay/North Bend, unless you're camping, in which case I'd suggest you also consider Sunset Bay State Park, on the coast west of Coos Bay. It's better situated for a full day of exploring the coast, with Shore Acres State Park next door, and several other beaches south, off of Seven Devils Road, e.g. Whiskey Run and Seven Devil State Rec. Site. Whatever you decide, I'd suggest making reservations.

If you're planning to head north after Corvallis, any reason not to instead continue up the coast for another night?

Edited: 16 January 2017, 03:32
Seattle
Level Contributor
38 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal drive this summer

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I had forgotten that the Redwoods were so close to Crescent City. I have not been there for over 50 years, when we hiked the Emerald Mile before it was logged. So we have now programmed in two days there. And Sunset Bay looks great, good for a whole second day. I've taken driving times off Google. It is telling me 3.5 hours from Ashland to just north of Orick, then 3.5 hours from there to Coos Bay and then 3 hrs to Corvallis - but I'll bet it is longer by OR34.. Does that conform to your experience? I notice reservations for the campsites open up February 1 for August, so I'll need to be Johnny-on-the-Spot that morning. Again, thanks.

Reply to: Coastal drive this summer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted