We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Lincoln, Nebraska
2 posts
Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

We are thinking about a trip to Depoe Bay, OR for Christmas Break 2016. My boys will be nearly 5 and nearly 7 by that time. Are there activities that kids that age will enjoy in the winter? My boys really love playing in the sand but I am thinking that it will likely be too chilly for true beach activities that time of year. We don't live near Oregon, so wondering if a winter trip is worth it or if we should plan a summer trip. Thanks in advance.

17 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
205 reviews
119 helpful votes
1. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

There's a whale watching center and museum in Depoe Bay...and year round whales, but no sandy beaches. Newport a better choice. Great aquarium, marine science center, sea lions on the dock in bayfront...and sandy beaches. Lots more to see and do and Depoe Bay not far away. Nor is Cape Perpetua.

Lincoln, Nebraska
2 posts
2. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Thanks...are the sandy beaches in Newport usable during winter months? Or is it better to go in the summer?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
205 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Oregon beaches aren't really designed for sun bathing, although it's possible in the summer sometime. Oregonians tend to enjoy the beaches year round, but mostly for hiking, absorbing the beautiful of nature and the pounding of the surf, beachcombing and tide pooling.

For the most part, the water is too cold, so you enjoy its vistas, the sea life it offers up for you and the way it makes you feel.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
313 reviews
110 helpful votes
4. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

It's realllllly wet that time of year. There will most likely be rain every day at some time during each day and it will be gray and overcast when it is not raining. I'd say that the beach is out as far as playing in the sand the sand. You could possibly walk the beach during a let up in the rain. I would highly recommend Oregon Coast Aquarium just South of the big bridge in Newport. I also would recommend driving Highway 101 between Newport and Florence which includes the already mentioned Cape Perpetua area.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
260 helpful votes
5. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

No way would I come all the way from Nebraska in Dec to oregon coast, if you have a choice of summer months.

However will say we regularly go to coast in winter, but we go other times of year too. Only a 2 hour drive from our house

We have a week planned in early January.

Our son was in Omaha for almost 10 years. We learned to go see them in Apr-May and Sept-Oct. Guess I could see why you might want to get out of Nebr in winter, but think I would pick place further south

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
313 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

I wouldn't use vacation time to visit the Oregon coast in the winter but if you were off for the holidays anyway it could be an interesting change of venue. We are virtually free of snow BUT IT DO GET WET HERE IN WINTER.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
205 reviews
119 helpful votes
7. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Everything is relative. Those of us in the valley look forward to a few days on the coast during the winter for the "better" weather. When it's a choice of freezing fog or warmer rain (with a possibility of an occasional sunbreak), the coast looks pretty good. Anything might look good compared to a Nebraska winter, but the Oregon Coast shouldn't be confused with Miami or Huntington Beach.

On our beaches you bundle up in layers even during the summer. I'm sure a Cornhusker can handle it OK.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,762 posts
1,114 reviews
2,825 helpful votes
8. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Hello AggieJen and welcome. If you have the option of visiting the Oregon coast between about late May and late October, you will have a far more enjoyable experience. That's my opinion as somebody who has lived on the coast for 25+ years :-)

In summer, Newport and the central coast offers clean, free, open beaches to play, lighthouses to explore, whale watching trips and so much more. Your family would have a wonderful time in summer.

December is dark and rainy and grey and yes, it does indeed SNOW on the Oregon coast most years... although it's not as cold as Nebraska!

Last month we had about 12½ inches of rain on the coast.

So far December has had about 6"... but it's only the 8th of the month!

If you want to enjoy warmer beaches in winter, head for southern Calif or Florida or the Gulf Coast but not Oregon.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
53 helpful votes
9. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

I've lived in Oregon for over 55 years, but it only took 1 to figure out that weather here is much more pleasant in summer than it is in winter. I don't think I'm overstating it in saying that summers here are, in fact, glorious. If you have the flexibility to come then, do. Your boys will have a ball on Oregon beaches. But during the long, grey, dreary, wet winters, many of us would rather escape to Palm Springs/Desert, southern California beaches, any of several warm, sunny Arizona cities, the west coast of Mexico, and/or Hawaii.

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
84 reviews
128 helpful votes
10. Re: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break

Summer! Especially the late July - Sept. time period. Having said that, we're actually coming out there for Christmas this year from the Ft. Lauderdale area! Tried to convince the "kids" (35-41 years old) we should go somewhere else where the sun actually shines, but I guess they want rain for Christmas.

Reply to: Depoe Bay over Christmas Break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Depoe Bay
More Depoe Bay Topics