We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to see whales in late October

J N
Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
219 reviews
Is it possible to see whales in late October

Plan to stop in the Depoe Bay area from October 21 to 28. I am finding conflicting information on-line as to whether whales are in the area that time of year. We are driving about 16 hours extra for this stop of our road trip and want to make sure. Any help from locals / experts is appreciated.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

There are resident whales in Depoe Bay year round...but no guarantees of spotting them at any specific time. Nor can weather be guaranteed. October should be OK.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
389 reviews
2. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Ditto to Poppa's info. We've often spotted whales from our balcony/patio at our Worldmark timeshare on the north end of Depoe Bay during the fall.

Level Contributor
39,784 posts
1,020 reviews
3. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

We saw lots of whales last week while in Depoe Bay. We went out with Dockside Charters on their hour trip. :).

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Oh my-----it always concerns me when I see someone wanting to go to a particular spot for the sole purpose of seeing a particular species of wildlife---it is neither totally predictable nor wise to place that type of pressure upon yourself. (case in point-I just returned from quebec-and although I was extremely fortunate to see some whales in the St. Lawrence River, I certainly would not have considered going there solely for that purpose).

Now, that being said, there are other really nice features in and around Depoe Bay worth exploring if you want to just go there to enjoy being there, and seeing whales would be icing on the proverbial cake. There is a Whale Watching Center (open Tue thru Sun 10 thru 4 per the internet). You can learn about the whales even if you don't see them. Boiler Bay State Park right outside Depoe Bay----the waves come crashing into the jagged rocks creating an amazing display. Watching boats going in and out of the extremely narrow channel-and if you're lucky seeing the Coast Guard Cutters doing their training maneuvers. Fun little restaurants, like Gracie's Sea Hag or the more modern Tidal Raves. It's a fun little town worth exploring, as is the rest of the Oregon Coast. have fun---explore!!! I hope you enjoy your trip---whatever you may decide to do. :)

Edited: 06 October 2015, 23:40
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Like OJohn we go to Depoe Bay 3 or 4 times per year. Always glad when we see whales from our room but have learned not to expect them for sure.

If that is only reason you are driving 16 extra hours to get there, don't do it. However always something to do from Depoe Bay. OExplorer covers several of them.

The resident pod is often close to shore when you do see them, but the migrating whales are well off shore.

J N
Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
219 reviews
6. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since my original post we added Redwoods Park to the trip so we have other things planned for the west coast too. We will hope for the best in Depoe Bay still, otherwise I will have to do another whale watching trip for the youngest sometime next year.

Thanks again!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

well be sure to check if Carrie Newell is doing trips when you go

Level Contributor
39,784 posts
1,020 reviews
8. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

If you want some really good clam chowder, The Chowder Bowl was excellent. We had our two dinners in Depoe Bay @ Restaurant Beck. :)

Edited: 07 October 2015, 21:39
J N
Rochester, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
219 reviews
9. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Thanks again everyone. We completed the Yellowstone to Depoe Bay portion of our trip and everything went great. We rented a condo on the pacific and had two days of good weather with plenty of whale sightings from the balcony, some only 30 yards or so off shore, including a few spectacular breaches. More than that I loved falling asleep to the sound of those huge waves roaring and crashing on the rocks below us. We also enjoyed the quaint size and vibe of 'downtown' Depoe Bay very much. It was our favorite coastal city even having driven 101 all the way down to Redwoods now.

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
39,784 posts
1,020 reviews
10. Re: Is it possible to see whales in late October

Glad you enjoyed Depoe Bay! :)

Get answers to your questions about Depoe Bay
More Depoe Bay Topics