We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Hi guys

Hiking in Oregon has been a goal of mine (along with many others) for some time now.

I just wondered how long it takes by car from Bend to 3 Sisters Wilderness, and how easy are the trailheads to find?

I would most likely be considering early September.

Any othe useful info on hiking in that area would be great.

Thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Go to the Oregon Forum and on the top right of the page you'll find a link to how to find information on hiking in Oregon.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

great links

www.wildernet.com/pages/area.cfm…

also our forest here is Deschutes National Forest

www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recarea/…

Edited: 26 January 2016, 23:56
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
3. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Great links and great time of year though Labor Day Weekend will be busier.

Taking the Cascade Lakes Highway west from Bend, trailheads at Todd Lake, Green Lakes, Devils Lake, Sisters Mirror, Elk Lake, etc., will take you up. From Todd Lake trail head will get you up into the Broken Top area. Real cool glacier lake up there. We hike up there from the Three Creeks Lake area south of Sisters.

The mountains do have thunderstorms/snow storms. Several times I have been chased down from such storms during Labor Day weekends.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

And if you want a really great hike, don't be scared off from climbing South Sister, assuming you are visiting during decent weahter.. Yes, it gets you to the top of the mountain and the great views, but it really is just a relatively long hike, with no technical climbing required. I prefer the route from Devils Lake on the Cascade Lakes Highway. You can camp there and hit the trail at sunup. Then head back into Bend and get a West facing room at the Hilton Garden Inn, where you can gaze out at the mountaintop you have been to.

Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Thanks for the answer, much more helpful than sticking a link to the Oregon section where it would have probably taken hours to find anything as the first poster suggested.

So early to mid Feb sounds a good time. Is this a good place for wildlife spotting?

Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Thanks for these much appreciated

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,978 posts
200 reviews
7. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

The link I referred you to was developed by me in order to put as much relevant information and resources in one usable location as possible regarding hiking in Oregon. Its use not only is valuable for hikers, but relieves us from having to repeat everything here every time we get routine questions.

We hope it also saves lives -- both those of people who aren't experienced hikers and those who underestimate the size, complexity and risks of hiking in our mountains and forests.

If clicking a few links is too much work for you I have to wonder how much preparation you're willing to do prior to wandering off into a wilderness area (especially alone).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

I highly recommend the book "100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades" by William Sullivan. It's an excellent companion to the information found on the Forest Service website and can help you decide which routes are more appropriate for your level of fitness.

South Sister is a terrific and challenging route. Agree that Labor Day might not be the best time due to crowds - you can actually see the little line of people on the summit trail from the highway at times. If you take that route be sure to start at dawn and carry plenty of water and some emergency supplies.

Make sure you take some time to enjoy the beautiful lakes and rivers in our area as well. Floating and paddling are nice options if you want to take a day off from hiking and the views are great!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,562 posts
1,111 reviews
9. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

Will you be hiking solo? If so -- and this applies also if you are hiking with others -- please let somebody responsible know just where you will be and when you expect to return. Do not rely on your mobile phone to work.

Oregon rescue teams go out several times a week year round to locate and rescue lost and/or injured hikers. There was another one just tonight near Portland.

Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Bend to Three Sisters Wilderness

In reply to 'oregonpoppa'

To be honest the point of these forums is to ask specific questions about specific parts of the worlds which several other people seem to have managed to answer for me, not quite sure why your getting so touchy.

And I have plenty of experience of mountain hiking so don't loose any sleep over me will you.

Edited: 28 January 2016, 17:31