We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early spring break weather

Hutchinson...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Early spring break weather

We have an early Spring Break (Mar 9 - Mar 17), we are considering Bend/Powell Butte. Looks like average temperatures are usually in the 50's. Would it be expected that golf courses and biking options be available at this time of the year or would we expect to still see snow on the ground? Also, is it reasonable to do some hiking at that time or would snow be an issue at this time as well. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early spring break weather

I would expect there to be some sunny days with the possiblity of snow\rain showers. If it does snow, probably wont last for long, unless something unusual happens. Snow would be an affirmative at higher elevations. I would say that biking, hiking(at lower elelvations) and golf courses should be open. Its difficult to predict in March- could be bright sunny and 60 or cold snowy and 30s.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early spring break weather

March? Hmm... I would think the golf courses in Redmond (Juniper) and Prineville (Meadow Lakes) will probably be open but I wouldn't count on anything else. Those courses will also probably be on temp greens. I don't know about Pronghorn or Brasada - you could call and ask but unless you are staying there you probably couldn't get onto those courses anyways.

Biking options would be available at lower elevations, sure. Are you planning to mountain bike? Horse Ridge is likely to be fine. Not sure about Phils... It really changes from day to day. If you are road biking be aware that the shoulders and bike lanes are a mess from gravel well into May.

Hiking options will be limited to lower elevations too - the river trail is nice though. If you go to higher elevations then put on some warm layers and rent some snowshoes in town. There are great snowshoe trails at Edison and Swampy (and more... that's just the first two that come to mind).

Like Chinookgrrl said... could be wildly different from day to day or even hour to hour. The mystery is part of the appeal!

Mentioned in this post
Redmond
Redmond
Central Oregon, OR
Pronghorn Resort
Pronghorn Resort
313 Reviews
Bend, OR
Hutchinson...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early spring break weather

Thank you for your feedback.

4. Re: Early spring break weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2013, 14:56