We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night driving from Bend to Portland

Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Night driving from Bend to Portland

In order to catch an early flight in Portland we will leave Bend in the middle of the night (this August.) Which route do you suggest? We are visitors from a flat state and are a little nervous about driving through mountains/forest in the dark. Thanks for your help.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 07:20
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
205 reviews
1. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

Is it impossible for you to leave Bend the day before? It's only 2 1/2 hours to Salem and an hour more from there to PDX on a flat freeway. Or drive north to Hood River and west on the highway to PDX. What time is your flight? Could you leave at dawn and make it?

I'm tempted to ask how you planned the trip to end this way, but what's done is done.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

What do you mean early 11AM or 6AM? US 26 best way to airport. No worse than any other pass in middle of night. But I ask what poppa did can you spend night in portland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,708 posts
1,112 reviews
3. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

I agree why not simply stay closer to Portland the night before?

Iowa
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

We're attending a reunion & won't arrive in Bend until Thursday - so don't get to spend much time the way it is. Saturday night is the main event. The return flight is 6:00 am Sunday. The earliest we could leave the party without missing out (and w/o being rude) is probably 10:00 pm. There isn't much point to that - ending up in Portland at 2:00 am. That's why I'm checking into leaving around 12:00 am/1:00 am (FYI: we will have a designated driver.)

Thanks for responding. I just read my initial post and realize how sad it is that 12:00 am/1:00 am has become "the middle of the night" to me - sad, but true HA!

Edited: 29 July 2011, 06:26
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
205 reviews
5. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

Early Sunday at PDX is surely less hectic than during the week, but you should remember that a big flurry of flights depart around 6-6:30 a.m. in order for people to get to the east coast by dinner time. If you have to also return your rental car, you have to add a half-hour or so to your travel time to the termina. A 6 a.m. flight starts boarding at 5:30. That means arriving at the terminal by 4:30-5 a.m. latest. Figure 3 hours from Bend to PDX. That means leaving by around 12:30-1 a.m., as you figured.

I just checked to see if you couldn't catch a flight from Bend/Redmond to PDX, but there's nothing that leaves late enough for you or arrives early enough. Have a safe, if exhausting, trip.

Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

Highway 26 is definitely your best bet. As you start to get into Gresham you cut head north towards I-84 and avoid never ending stop and go. At that time of night with a bathroom stop at Government Pass it shouldn't take you any more than 3 and a half hours.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

I would be sure you know how to get through Gresham to airport. To me it is not well marked and at night may be worse.

You are a real trooper to do that for a reunion. I would add a day, but I am no trooper

8. Re: Night driving from Bend to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 03:48