We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmarked trails?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Unmarked trails?

Are there any well traveled unmarked trails in the area?

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Unmarked trails?

Please be more specific. I'm not sure I understand what a well-traveled unmarked trail is.

Good hiking etiquette does not include going off-trail for many reasons (safety, environmental degradation, etc.)

We have excellent hikers and mountaineers on this form that can give hiking advice in Central Oregon once we know what you are after.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Unmarked trails?

A couple years ago we went to Spearfish, SD in the north of the Black Hills. In that area is a spot called Devil's Bathtub. No signs on the road or at the trail head. Only way you know you're in the right place and on the trail (as a tourist?) is through the internet and just by walking. The trail is very well worn.

We loved it, so it's just something we try to look for on our trips.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Unmarked trails?

Hmmm sounds like you want something remote. Try googling 'Oregon Outback' it's a relatively new term to describe the area, perhaps that will appeal to you. Maybe some others here will have some ideas.

If you are into hot springs, check out the summer lake hot springs... a real throw back. You might even try calling them, as they would have some suggestions!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: Unmarked trails?

Wandering off on an unfamiliar and unmarked trail in most of the Cascades is a good way to (hopefully) meet our best search and rescue folks.

Many areas lack cell phone reception and GPS doesn't help when you reach a fork in the trail. You might know which direction you want to go, but There's no way to know which trail will ultimately take you there.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Unmarked trails?

I was actually looking for something more in the woods. Even an old trail.

The point about search and rescue is quite valid! McKenzie Trail to the Blue Pool might scratch this itch.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Unmarked trails?

No matter how you scratch you itch and what trail you may choose to take

please check in with someone local or tell a friend to let them know when you are going

and your return times and plans.

For those of us who live local we see time and time again when a simple day

hike can go wrong and folks only know their friend was hiking somewhere.

Even tho we live local, when we go out we tell family where we are going when

we plan on returning and then call them upon return.

Sounds basic and simple which it is but can be a life saving choice.

The Forests are big and look a lot different when you are out in them even

for those of us familiar with our surroundings.

Have a great and safe adventure.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
200 reviews
7. Re: Unmarked trails?

Tamolitch Trail (Blue Pool)

McKenzie River Trail

Two different trails. McKenzie River Trail goes for more than 20 miles from Clear Lake to beyond McKenzie Bridge.

The Tamolitch Trail is a four mile roundtrip branch off 126 and the McKenzie River Trail. And it is extremely popular.

Main risks along the trail are the same as on most of our supposedly easy hikes...observing the natural beauty and not paying attention to the trail itself. Tree roots and jutting lava can trip you up (as I can tell you from personal experience).

Diving into the seductive turquoise pool has sometimes resulted in fatalities and serious injury.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Unmarked trails?

Haha, oregonpoppa :). Me too. I remember hiking beyond Tamolitch to Koosah and Sahalie Falls, trai pl so nice and level, birds singing, I'm singing...wham, I'm face down in the dirt :).

With this horrible yellow jacket year, I would be concerned about trying to get down to the Tamolitch pool anyway, just admire from the trail!

However, since this is in the Bend forum, Nick, I remember you from last year at this time and your desire was alpine lakes. As I recall, South Sister was more miles than you wished, so...

Green Lakes Trail, trailhead along Cascade Lakes Hwy out of Bend. Now, don't be afraid ofall the cars in the parking lot. I was there inOctobef, main parking lot was full, but I hiked probably 3 or 4 miles before seeing anyone at all. Backpackers coming back . Many hikers and backpackers will veer off to Moraine Lake from this trail so often you are all alone :). youYou can still experience some solitude even on a popular marked trail. Take pictures when nobodyis around to show your friends at home :). Many falls along the way even ifyou don't make itto the Green Lakes. Or you could take the side trail to Moraine Lake (easier that the trail up from Devil's Lake, notn0 nearly as steep).

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Unmarked trails?

Haha, yeah that was when I was doing some initial research. Ended up deciding on Broken Top/No Name Lake for that hike (from BT trail head). This question is wondering if I missed anything or there was something not in the usual resources. That blue pool sounds like the best option...I'm just hoping it's not too crowded.

Reply to: Unmarked trails?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted