We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late October Stay

Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Late October Stay

Hi Everyone,

My Sister and I are going to be in Bend or just out in a cabin late October.

Im concerned about snow as we are flying into Portland and driving down.

In past years can you advise the chances of snow in the area? And as we have never driven on icy roads would this be very difficult from Portland to Bend?

I understand no one can tell me for certain, But I just want to prepare myself.

We are really wanting to hike Mckenzie trail and see Tamolitch blue pool, I've read the fall colours will be pretty, See Clear lake and Maybe Crater Lake, Are these areas easy accessible in Late October from Bend?

Any honest advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Personal Photography Tutoring in Bend
from US$ 95.00*
Free Cancellation
Bend Historic Photo Tours
from US$ 129.00*
10 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late October Stay

The seasonal weather changes quite rapidly in late October/November- particularly in the high country. There is a potential for snow in the Cascades during that time period. Anything in Bend proper would probably be fine for snow/driving concerns. The items youre interested in seeing are on the west side of the cascades-meaning you'd have to cross the pass to see them if you were staying in Bend.

You can avoid crossing the Cascades from Portland to Bend by driving east out I-84 and then driving down hwy 97- its longer, but will likely be snow free .

Edited: 31 May 2018, 08:25
Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late October Stay

In the event the weather would be snowy in the Cascades passes, I think you could find things to do/see in Central Oregon.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late October Stay

The McKenzie River Trail, Clear Lake and Sahalie Falls should be OK. Tamolitch Pool is probably OK also, but you will need to check whether the trail will be open.

Crater Lake Lodge closes Oct. 15, usually for good wintry reasons.

The bright orange and vine maples seeming to spring from the black lava in the area where 20 and 126 meet are spectacular.

Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late October Stay

Awesome advice, Thank you

Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late October Stay

Sounds gorgeous, Shame about Crater lake.

This is much more positive than the advice I have been given on Facebook, someone warned it the absolute worst time of year and the trip would be pointless, I thought I would reach out 1 more time before we cancel our plans :)

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late October Stay

I think if you are flexible in your plans(i.e have backup plans in the event the weather in the high country is crummy) you'll be fine and have a good time.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late October Stay

Please note I said, "should be ok." This is Oregon. Nothing comes with weather guarantees.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late October Stay

Of course, I understand no one can predict the weather, I just wanted some local advice based on previous years, I cant wait to Visit Oregon either way, rain hail or shine

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late October Stay

Agree that as long as you are flexible with your plans you will likely not be disappointed. That said, I would be more concerned about driving from Bend to the McKenzie than Portland to Bend. It's a better highway over Mt Hood, and the pass roads to the trailheads for Tamolich and other areas are windy and narrow - terrible if the weather is poor.

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late October Stay

Hi,

Are the roads with Cliff edges? Im ok with skinny windy, I grew up learning to drive on these kind of roads, But minus the snow and cliffs if there are any?

I chose Bend to stay in as I thought it seemed central to what we wanted to see.

Do yo think maybe Salem or Eugene would be a better base then, Or will the roads be pretty much the same?

Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Oregon
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Reply to: Late October Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted