We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river rafting trip while staying in Bend

USA
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
153 reviews
river rafting trip while staying in Bend

I read about some outfitters that do trips from the Bend area, and then another that provides transport from Bend to Maupin and does 4-5 hours on the river. Which is better? Of course, I could do without the 3+ hours on a bus to and from Maupin, but I get the sense that maybe the river trips from Maupin are much better, and worth the travel time. What do you say? What's the best day trip on the river for a family of 4 (one kid in college and one in high school). Thanks!

And while I am asking "water questions" - is there a nice lake near Bend where we could rent kayaks, or is there an outfitter that would deliver kayaks to the Lake? If so, which lake do you suggest?

4 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: river rafting trip while staying in Bend

Take a look at SunCountry Tours. The Big Eddy Trip is a lot of fun!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
131 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: river rafting trip while staying in Bend

It probably depends on what you are looking for/expecting as far as a white water rafting experience goes. The Big Eddy trip is fun but you should know the actual time in the rapids is very short. I suggest calling a couple of the rafting companies and talking to them about their trips to better determine which sounds the best for your family.

Regarding lakes in the area, Elk Lake rents kayaks. But my favorite kayaking lakes are Sparks and Hosmer. For those you would have to rent kayaks in town and transport them to the lakes. Or Wanderlust Tours offers great kayaking and canoe tours to both Sparks and Hosmer. If you decide to go that route, make sure your tour goes to either Sparks or Hosmer because I think they also go to Elk Lake. If your timing is right, their full-moon canoe trips are special.

USA
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: river rafting trip while staying in Bend

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, our dates don't work for the full moon kayak tour. That sounds like fun. The website says they do an evening canoe tour "under the stars" when there is no full moon. I guess it is the same idea, minus the full moon. What do you think -- would you do that, or a day-time trip instead?

I did ask them what lake the kayak trips go to. They said it varies, depending on conditions. I guess I could call a day or two in advance and ask.

Is it typically necessary, in the summer, to book kayak, canoe, rafting and similar trips long in advance. Or is a day or two in advance typically sufficient?

The Big Eddy trip seems like not enough time on the river for us. But the 3.5 hour round trip transportation to Maupin does not sound all that appealing either -- unless the rafting trip, once we get there, is much better than what we could get without the drive. Are there any other options you think I should consider?

Thank you!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: river rafting trip while staying in Bend

Absolutely make reservations as far in advance as you can. I know Sun Country fills up fast!

Reply to: river rafting trip while staying in Bend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted