We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes in Summer

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Lakes in Summer

My husband, daughter (21 months), and I are going to Bend in August. We go to Bend every summer but with our daughter now were trying to add more family friendly activities. Are there any lakes you would recommend for summer swimming? We went to Cultus lake last summer and we're hoping to find more family friendly spots. Any other recommendations for our trip are also appreciated. We're in Bend for 5 nights and Sunriver for 4 nights. Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
1. Re: Lakes in Summer

South Twin is best. But go early it gets busy. Avoid weekends. Great family place for swimming etc.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
131 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Lakes in Summer

Elk Lake has a number of good places for swimming. You might try Sunset View Day Use Area or Little Fawn Campground. Have you been to Todd Lake? When you get to the lake from the parking lot, if you take the trail going around to the left, you will come to a large area with grass to spread a blanket and shallows good for a toddler to splash around and adults to swim.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Lakes in Summer

Another vote for South Twin. It has been a family favorite of ours since I was a very little kid:)

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
4. Re: Lakes in Summer

The only problem with Todd Lake is it has became a huge mess. Packed with vehicles on both sides of the road even where not allowed. Have to wait for cars to get through, saw vehicles side swiped. Many people use Todd Lake trailhead. I don't know how we got through last August with our truck on the way to Three Creeks. I see big changes with visitor limits here soon.

Maybe week days are better, oregontrekkie?

Yeah Elk Lake is real nice too. Everywhere is getting so packed.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
131 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Lakes in Summer

Yes, weekdays definitely are better where ever you go during the height of the tourist season. Also, early is the operative word so you can find parking and stake out a space.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Lakes in Summer

Elk Lake has some nice smaller swim beaches - watch for the wind to pick up though. Also, Billy Chinook (Cove Palisades) has a roped off swimming area which can be nice if you are swimming with younger kids.

Reply to: Lakes in Summer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted