We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Save Topic
Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

I got here today from new York , I'm going to the park tomorrow and thurs for my wife and I one year anniversary , after a great meal at the local outbAck steakhouse we decided to go for a walk around some of the side streets, I didn't think we would make It back to the hotel fast enough, it was creepy and this black guy stepped out of his house, whipped out jis junk and started urinating on the sidewalk I front of us, at which point in time we hastily walked around the block and headed back to the hotel. Don't go for walks around Sandusky at ten at night.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Where did you stay? What side streets did you walk down?

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Downtown Sandusky is, unfortunately, getting a bit of a ghetto atmosphere and reputation. You can see it from driving around the local neighborhoods. I am often in the "North Coast" area during the summer, and had to go to downtown Sandusky to pick something up a couple months back and got slightly lost. I was only 2 blocks from the main downtown street, but it felt like I was back up in Detroit. Scared the snot out of me the way I was getting looked at.

Advice: always take precautions and be safe no matter what city you are travelling in, especially if it is unfamiliar. Even Key West and Las Vegas have their shadier sides and areas where you don't wanna get caught out alone at night. As much as we want our vacation locations to feel like Disneyland or Little House on the Prairie, the reality is that it isn't.

Alternative: Try visiting one of our local island vacation destinations. Put-in-Bay Ohio is a great place to relax and/or party, depending on what day of the week you arrive. And with all the police around, downtown is always safe, albeit a bit noisy at times.

Have a great vacation!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

yeah, while I agree with you Blue Boy, I'm not buying the original story. There are VERY few hotels that are within walking distance (with sidewalks, no less) of "shady" areas. (No hotels downtown near the rough areas). And if someone walked out and started peeing in front of me at night, I'd be grossed out, but wouldn't think I'd get mugged. (Catch the race reference? yeah...)

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Yeah, I noticed it too. The only thing I can possibly think is he walked all the way down Milan to Outback and walked BACK to La Quinta and accidentally went down Perkins Ave. Of course, there have been sightings of crazed gangs of old men from the Veterans Home wandering around at night (tongue-in-cheek)...

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

We do not have any side walks near Out Back. He would have had to walk down Route 250 which is two lane. No houses. No shoulder. This also would have been in the local newspaper. Sandusky is a small town. I don't believe this.

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

If you ever read the comments that people put under the stories on the online Sandysky Register, I guarantee it would already have been talked about and beaten to death by those few... ummm... "vocal" people who waste their time slinging mud at each other on there.

Sounds like race baiting to me, considering the person is anonymous and has only one post.

Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

This is nothing but made-up drama. As Ghostly Manor noted, there are no side streets to walk on anywhere near Outback: It's in the middle of one of the busiest parts of 250. Yes, the downtown is rough in spots, but there are no major hotels anywhere near those parts of town.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Only 1 post. I guess he never made it back home alive - so sorry.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

Better research into your destination would have helped avoid your "scary" moment, that & a little common sense.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Went to Sandusky and thought I was gonna get mugged

I stopped taking him seriously when he said they had a great meal at the local Outback Steakhouse.