We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PIB Trip Report from a first timer

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
32 reviews
PIB Trip Report from a first timer

Just returned from our first, but definitely not our last, trip to Put-In-Bay. I will be doing reviews for each place individually, but love reading trip reports too.

The drive up to Port Clinton was fairly easy and we made it in just under 3 hours and found the Jet Express lot quite easily. DH loves his truck, so he wanted the most secure lot. It was $36 for the entire weekend, but we didn't have to worry about the truck at all. Definitely worth the money just for the peace of mind.

We arrived just in time to get on the 12:30 ferry to the island, and there were only a handful of people on the entire boat. Even though it was windy, the boat ride was smooth and we got there in 30 minutes.

Since we were too early to check into our room, we dragged our luggage into the Keys restaurant and ordered lunch and a few drinks. I had the grilled chicken and cheese on Texas Toast and it was pretty darn good. DH ordered a hamburger and it was good but plain and certainly over-priced. The fries are SUPER skinny and to me seemed very dry, but the onion rings were great!

After lunch we walked to the place we were staying, Bodee's Bungalow, and although it was only 2:30, Theresa saw us on the camera come in and she came right away to check us in. We rented the golf cart directly from the guesthouse, so she went over everything on how to use it and lock it up. Very easy and a must have for getting around on the island.

I can't say enough good things about Bodee's Bungalow and we will be returning. The grounds and rooms are immaculately kept, and the tiki patio was an awesome amenity. We met several great couples and enjoyed their company under the roof of the bar while it rained. This is the perfect place for an adult getaway, and everyone respected the other guests so there were no late night disturbances - a very quiet and restful place.

The bars we hit were Frosty's, Boathouse (awesome 80s band), Roundhouse (Mad Dog show), Beer Barrel (great band there too), Splash (pool bar), and Joe's Bar (not a fan). Everywhere we went (except Joe's Bar), we encountered wonderful bartenders and friendly servers.

Breakfast was Pasquale's, DH loved their lobster omelet, and Frosty's for their famous Bloody Mary. Dinner one night was Cameo pizza and another night was Reel Bar. Each will get their own review.

I must say, everywhere we went on the island, we met friendly people and it was an awesome trip. We will for sure return, and Thank You to everyone who made it such a special trip for us.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 18:06
2 replies to this topic
Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
322 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: PIB Trip Report from a first timer

Thanks for sharing! That sounds like a nice quick little trip to the island!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
98 posts
131 reviews
2. Re: PIB Trip Report from a first timer

Awesome trip report, I love reading them. We have been considering Bodee's for our next trip so we might give it a try. Sounds like you had a good trip.

Reply to: PIB Trip Report from a first timer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay
Recent Conversations