We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I can't wake very far or up hill

Loveland, Ohio
1 post
I can't wake very far or up hill

We are going out to Put-in-Bay tomorrow and I am not sure that I can walk from the ferry to where the golf carts are. Is it a very far walk? Or up a hill? Does anyone know if someone can go up and rent a cart and come down to the ferry and pick me up there? Thank you in advance

3 replies to this topic
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: I can't wake very far or up hill

When you get to the ferry dock this morning, tell them about your mobility issue. They should be able to have someone on the island meet you and give you a lift up the hill.

Toledo ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: I can't wake very far or up hill

Take the Jet as opposed to the Miller. Miller has a steep incline.

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
322 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: I can't wake very far or up hill

Great question for our impaired and ADA visitors! There are two different ferries that service the island: The Jet Express and the Miller Ferry.

The Jet is a passenger-only affair, and they do have a bit of an incline on their loading ramps, depending on the lake water levels. The area around the ferry for loading and unloading and ticketing is relatively flat so easy to access. This is the more expensive ferry (about double the price).

The Miller Ferry departs from the end of Catawba Island and has lots of free parking nearby for those going over to the island. The ferry is both passenger and vehicle. Ticket booths both on the island and mainland are easy to access by foot or wheelchair. If you inform the ticket host that you are mobility-challenged, they will happily assist you. They have a little airhorn that they put out the window and honk, and a golf cart comes rolling up with a staff member to assist you from the ticket booth to the head of the line where people wait to board the ferry. Likewise, as you depart the ferry, if you inform a crew member of your needs, they will do the same in reverse, and you will get a quick lift up to the ticket booth area, which is atop a rather hefty incline. And they are half the price of the other ferry. (they also offer this free service to guests with really heavy non-luggage packages)

Golf carts are located throughout the island and vary in rates and availability.

Have fun!

Reply to: I can't wake very far or up hill
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay
Recent Conversations