We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How was YOUR trip?

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
How was YOUR trip?

I love to see more activity on the Logan/Hocking Hills forum. There are always questions prior to your visits, but little feedback afterward. Please give us a trip report of where you stayed, where you dined, and what you did for fun. Did you love it here? Will you come back?

When people want recommendations for cabins, experience is the best. Since I live here, I've only visited a few cabins in the area although I know several cabin owners. Tell us what you think!

18 replies to this topic
Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
46 posts
25 reviews
11. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Just got back from a 2 night trip with my wife. We stayed at the Hidden Gem cabin which is run by wyricks. First day we arrived for a picnic lunch near Cedar Falls. We then hiked to Old Man's Cave through the gorge and then returned via the upper path. The lower path had a few tricky parts but at least it was dry and much more scenic than the upper path. It is a 6 mile round trip so it is not for everyone.

We had dinner in our cabin which more then met our expectation, it even included a sauna in the bathroom.

On our second day we hiked at Rock House. I have been to the area several times but this was the first time at Rock House. Wow! What a cool place. I would recommend going here rather than Old Mans Cave. We then went to Hocking Hills Winery for lunch. Had a pizza delivered from Cristi's. Good pizza and the winery is nice but not too uppity.

We also shopped at the antique mall n Logan, which has decent prices. As we were leaving, we saw another antique store and other stores right off of route 33. There is a store in there that sells fudge but also has cool metal yard art at great prices.

PA
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
160 reviews
12. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Just returned from a whirlwind overnight to hike in Hocking Hills... what a great state park! Live just under 3 hours away & have wanted to visit for years.

We arrived after lunch to Rock House and enjoyed the rugged terrain (mucky from recent rains!) and liked the shallow, long cave with the 'windows'. On to Conkle's Hollow where we did the easy, short gorge trail following it past the paved part to end of gorge. You get a lot of bang for your buck with this short, easy walk. We then climbed many stairs plus uphill path to the rim & did this 2.5 miles loop trail. Again, lots of muddy sections to navigate plus a large downed tree. I am not a fan of heights so stayed away from many edges of trail next to rim - with sheer drop offs of 100-200 feet & no fences.

Stayed at Holiday Inn Express one night in Logan - very nice. Had good dinner at Milestone BBQ just a few minutes from motel.

Waited for it to warm up in the morning - when it was in the upper 40s, we drove to Old Man's Cave & hiked to upper & lower falls - both are stunning. The old, stone, arched bridges are also beautiful. Drove to Cedar Falls & enjoyed this pretty waterfall. Then to Ash Cave - more stairs when hiking rim trail! The gorge trail is short, flat & pretty. My legs ached a bit by end of the day with stairs almost everywhere. We had bright sunshine both days & cool temps & best of all: very light crowds (early May). Wanted to return & do longer hikes! Gorgeous scenery & fun trails!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
13. Re: How was YOUR trip?

glad you enjoyed our area :)

Next time- put Cantwell Cliffs on your list. Love that little hike and... if you're up for it? IMO the best 6 miles in the park is from Old Mans Cave to Cedar falls via the gorge, then bring the upper trail back. You can go all the way to Ash Cave (12 miles round trip) but the best bits are that 6 mile round trip from OMC to Cedar Falls and back.

Yep! nice little area. Really glad you got the chance to come by and had a great time! Lucky no rain too!

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
14. Re: How was YOUR trip?

It sounds like you definitely fit lots into your weekend! I'm glad you had great weather and got to enjoy early Spring in the Hills. Please come back again to enjoy the new trails that just opened on Monday of this week. I look forward to experience them myself. :)

PA
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
160 reviews
15. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Thanks for further hiking ideas, Wings & Jenny!

Wings: will make note of the hike from OMC to Cedar Falls. Wanted to try it but hubby was itching to get home by 5 pm to MOW GRASS (rain for 3 days before we left for the parks!). I read Cantwell Cliffs was rated 'difficult' & we usually do moderate to easy trails. Your thoughts on this rating?

Jenny: I'm jealous of your proximity to these parks! Wonder what the 'new trails' are? Will definitely return to explore further!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
16. Re: How was YOUR trip?

I do not think Cantwell Cliffs is difficult at all. Moderate maybe.... just because you do some "up and down" but it's so relative... My 6 year old grandson did it with me a couple of times. He thinks it's loads of fun.

Cantwell Cliffs is no more than 2 miles? You do go down into and out of the valley- do a little rock scrambling. Have to keep tabs on the little man on the wet rocks along the edge, but nothing I'd consider strenuous.

We just did 11.5 miles in Shenandoah. Hiked from the valley floor up to Skyline Drive at 3300+ feet. I would rate that as difficult. IMO, there is nothing difficult in Hocking Hills. Good work out? sure, but nothing difficult.

Rating trails is so subjective- I think cause we all come from a different place and perspective.

I hope that helps? my description? I'd definitely recommend doing it. I'm with the grandson... it's loads of fun!

5 posts
17. Re: How was YOUR trip?

My family has rented lodges in the area twice now (2016 and 2018). Both times some of the adults got up super early and did the Cedar Falls to Old Man's Cave hike on the upper trail (Rose Lake is beautiful and misty in the morning) and back along the gorge trail. It's a great hike and there's hardly anyone else around that early.

Edited: 18 October 2018, 01:20
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
18. Re: How was YOUR trip?

just did the hike from Old Mans Cave to Cedar Falls last Saturday. 41 degrees and damp and cold! Took the grandson (now 8) He LOVED the hike thru the gorge! Once we were having lunch at Cedar Falls, he announced that he was ready to go back to the truck. Sure! and only 3.5 miles back. hahaha His little legs made it! We took him back thru the rim trail. Less hard on the legs. All total, he did 7 miles. Could not believe how incredibly busy the area was! Super busy (in our opinion) at 10 am but by the time we got back to the parking lot, it was ridiculous! Cars parked all over the grass, etc. There's no color on the trees, it's in the low 40s, wet and.... STILL crazy busy. wow! Had fun tho :)

Reply to: How was YOUR trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted