We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How was YOUR trip?

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
How was YOUR trip?

I love to see more activity on the Logan/Hocking Hills forum. There are always questions prior to your visits, but little feedback afterward. Please give us a trip report of where you stayed, where you dined, and what you did for fun. Did you love it here? Will you come back?

When people want recommendations for cabins, experience is the best. Since I live here, I've only visited a few cabins in the area although I know several cabin owners. Tell us what you think!

18 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
1. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Well... I sort of live in the area, but... we've been many, many times for weekend get aways. hard to relax at home when there's always work to be done.

Have been twice in January for my husband's b-day. Winter in HH is SO pretty, but I suggest you make sure where you choose is not far off the beaten path. We stayed here: http://www.atbouldersedge.com/tipinew.htm# in the winter one time and really liked it. Only about a mile and 1/2 off of 33 and very near the antique/craft stores at Rockbridge. It snowed before and during our stay, so was a great spot for easy access. Still secluded, too-- no idea that Rt 33 was so near.

My number 1 favorite places to stay: http://www.heritagecabin.com/

Every attention to detail is given to the places. Have stayed with the whole family at the lodge, spent weekends at both the retreat and cottage with others or alone-- It's the first place I check when wanting to head to the area. Also an easy drive from Columbus with the cabins all being in the Clearcreek park area near Rockbridge. All have fire rings AND firewood supplied. The lodge and retreat have fireplaces indoors and fire wood is also supplied for those. Great spots to stay for those fall trips.

2nd favorite spot:http://www.honeyfork.com/ Have stayed in both the cabin in the woods and the cabin on the pond. Also clean-- gas fireplaces- I particularly like the fact that the 2nd bedrooms (open loft) have a bathroom upstairs. Not typical and very handy :) Very close to the Ash Cave area and further from the Rt 33 areas.

Favorite place to eat is the little silver diner at the antique complex. An Italian couple bought it a few years ago and it want from horrible food to great! Haven't tried the BBQ place yet. Haven't been down to stay in awhile.

Love all the parks-- Ash Cave is the easiest walk and handicap accessible. Rockhouse is probably my favorite, but not good for anyone with difficulty walking or hiking.

There-- not a TR, but a little info I've gleaned from the visits I've made there. :)

I am surprised too, that more do not come here. It's such a popular area.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
2. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Tips before going to Hocking Hills:

Things I've learned from experience--

Ask alot of questions. We stayed in a place that touted being "private" when in actuality.... our "view" was the backside of the owners trailer. Ask if you can see any other buildings or cabins from the property-- ask if you need 4 by 4 to access. Ask if it's accessible in winter (if you are traveling in winter) A snow storm can keep you home and it's your loss, typically. Ask when the photos online were taken. Also ended up with a very unique place (as seen in the photos) but in reality, the place was a dump! Ceilings falling in, deck broken down and only partially usable, burners did not work on the gas grill...

Owners will not give out addresses ahead of time generally, but ask for general local-- how far from Old Man's Cave (or whichever park you are interested in) Some of the cabins can be a LONG way from any of the parks. And-- ask about satellite tv if it's necessary for you. Rented a place once in mid winter that listed "tv" as one of it's benefits. I stupidly presumed that meant "tv reception" lol In the summer? no big deal. But.... winter in HH with it being dark and 20 degrees at 5 pm? TV would've been good instead of the vcr and various video tapes available (and yes, this was YEARS after vcrs were no longer even sold) lol

At any rate-- just some pointers to keep in mind and things to question ahead of time. Jenny-- you may have some good tips as well to add to my list?

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Thanks for your words of wisdom, Wings. I hope we can get many more responses.

Michigan
Level Contributor
40 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: How was YOUR trip?

My husband and I just returned from a very active 4 night stay in the Hocking Hills...what a nice trip! We stayed 2 nights in the Skyview cabin At Boulder's Edge and 2 nights in the Sugar Ridge cabin through Lazy Lane. Both cabins worked well for us...we enjoyed soaking in the hot tubs after hiking. We explored many sights during our visit: Natural Rock Bridge, Cantwell Cliffs, Rock House, Clear Creek Metro Park, Lake Logan, Old Man's Cave, Conkles Hollow, Ash Cave and Cedar Falls. Each sight had its own unique natural beauty. We enjoyed dinner at a couple of the local restaurants.... Jacks Steak House and the Brass Ring. Cooled off with an ice cream cone from Old Man's Cave Genral Store. Thanks Hocking Hills for a fun get-away!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
43 posts
125 reviews
5. Re: How was YOUR trip?

We just returned October 13, 2012. We stayed at the Good Earth Cabins, Sunrise Forest. It was not a good experience and way too far from the sights and restaurants. I would not recommend this cabin. Our favorite places to visit were Ash Cave, Old Mans Cave and Cedar Falls. They are currently doing construction work at Old Mans cave. Things are torn up. We did not see food being sold and the gift shop was not open. We took our dog to ash cave and cedar falls. She did fine. I could not figure out Cantwell Cliffs. We walked hundreds of steps and did not see much. This was out least favorite. Rock house was nice and a quick walk. We loved Millstone BBQ. The food was satisfying after a long day hiking. La Cascada was OK. The Drinks were expensive and the service was unfriendly. We tried to schedule a horse back ride but happy trails was unaccomadating. They could only fit us in for a 2 hour ride at their specified time even though there was 4 of us and we wanted a 1 hour ride. Uncle Bucks was the same. No one seemed to want the business so we did not do the ride. A huge warning.... Use the bathroom before going to the parks. They are beyond disgusting. I honestly could have thrown up from the smell.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
244 reviews
6. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Have to laugh at the "restroom" (and I used that term loosely!) comment. Be glad you were there in the fall. Summer? omg... NOT a pleasant experience. My advice is to find a tree off the beaten path if need be.

7. Re: How was YOUR trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 23:05

Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: How was YOUR trip?

Jackie - you've described the perfect vacation! Anything that can reduce stress is a winner in my book!

9. Re: How was YOUR trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 23:05

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: How was YOUR trip?

See post 23 in this thread for a report on an August 2012 trip. Check the accompanying review of the Inn at Cedar Falls by momstravel.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50226-i364-k56291…

It would be a good idea to check the reviews of anyone who has posted reports of trips to the Hocking Hills.

Reply to: How was YOUR trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted