We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

Hello, I am planning a trip to the Hocking Hills area for several days with family in mid-July. My daughter is a trail runner, She is from Colorado, and runs 12-15 miles per outing. Are there any local parks with longer trails that are not dangerous, i.e. on the rim of a cliff? It would be ideal to find trails that will not be so packed with tourists that she will have difficulty running. We will be there during the week as opposed to the weekend. I am also looking for places to walk 3 dogs. Again, I want to avoid the trails that are by cliffs, given safety concerns should one of the dogs pull on the leash. These trails do not have to be very long, as one of the dogs is not built for long walks. We will be staying in a cabin that is about a 15 minute drive Southwest of Hocking Hills State Park. We do not mind a 30 minute drive or so. Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Logan, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Logan
Level Contributor
755 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

I’m sorry that I have no answer for you. I’d hate to advise you incorrectly.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
248 reviews
2. Re: Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

there are no long trails in the HH imo.

Clear Creek Metro Park- you can combine some trail and come up with 8 or so miles? up and down hills and stones and tree roots. Coming from Colorado, I presume that's not an issue. It's also VERY lightly traveled and we use it quite a bit to prep to hike in the more western states. It's not part of HH state parks but is nearby.

metroparks.net/parks-and-trails/clear-creek/

You can hike from Old Mans Cave to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave and then back- it is 12 miles round trip. However, running? not likely. The gorge area of Old Mans Cave is crowded. You might be able to run the 12 miles if you stayed with the upper path thru the trees at Old Mans Cave coming and going. Along with the path from Cedar Falls to Ash Cave is wooded as well and I do not recall much traffic on it.

https:/…old-mans-cave-to-ash-cave

Dogs? no clue.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

I know it is a tough question, so thanks for your reply, wings1980! I will look into Clear Creek. I think the cabin we are renting is on a very rural road, so my daughter may be able to run along side of the road. We'll see when we get there! The dogs may be satisfied with walks along some mowed paths that are reportedly right by the cabin we are renting.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails

Thank you just the same, Jennyk325! I know my question was challenging, and appreciate the fact that you tried to come up with an answer.

Reply to: Safe trails for trail running and dog safe trails
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted