We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

Wondering if you can do all of Hocking Hills in 1 day?

Or best way to see the most of the park in 1day, where to start, etc.

If you had to choose your favorite areas to see, which ones?

Thank you!!

8 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

no, cannot see all the parks in 1 day if you get out and walk them.

Best of the bunch is Old Man's Cave. Cedar Falls and Ash cave are very near there.

How much do you hike? If you are able, the 6 mile loop from Old Mans Cave to Cedar Falls and back is great! Take the gorge that 3 miles and then bring the upper trail thru the woods back. Best 6 miles in the park imo.

There's also a new trail called Hemlock? off the gorge route. Not far. Take that up to Whispering Cave. Very pretty and not long.

Level Contributor
2,242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

http://gtty.im/2fT367N

Hocking Hills is a beautiful region. Been some years since ive been there but use to know the region quite well.

In this first list www.hockinghills.com/parks.htmlv i have been to all but the lakes and some areas outside of the main attractions. I would start at the visitor center to pick up paper copies of the trails www.hockinghills.com/trail_maps.html before hiking and get paper descriptions of the trails www.thehockinghills.org/hiking.htm to get a good start. Www.hockinghills.com/photogallery.html

Chances are you already seen the links but just in case. I believe you can see all the main six attractions in one day if -- you focus only on the main attraction areas. Be prepared to climb the closest steps rather than an easier way starting further out for the best views quickly. The time comes into play when one truely enjoys the entire location with all of the hiking trails. Very unlikely you can do this and hit every one.

Hard for me to pick favorites. The Rockhouse and Conkles Hollow was certainly among my tops but they are all awesome. So, if going directly to the top attractions and waisting little time except the main sites than i believe you can. We have did everything in a day and a half before and we were not fast. But, no doubt everyone has their own opinion on this. There is also a natural spring around the main attraction loop but cannot remember now where it was. Locals could tell you. Very good water right off the road.

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

Awesome responses thanks guys for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it.....really going to have to put some thought into this one....every time we try to go for the weekend (8 hour drive one way) the weather turns on us....this weekend we are headed further south, but will be staying overnight tonight and hitting the area tomorrow, which looks like it's going to be BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the help again appreciate it

Level Contributor
2,242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

I just want to add i am not disputing Wings1980. In fact, I would encourage you to enjoy a few throughly over trying to rush to see 'the main highlights'. Truely taking time to enjoy all that can be found in any one location is what its all about. Hiking the rim trails and gorge trails both give the spot a special take that you cannot get from the other. And places like Old Man's Cave have more than one destination is well.

My advise. Just take your time to enjoy what you can. Rushing around does not create the same memories nor give you a true taste and feel for every location.

Watch out! Seems drivers like using both lanes around those parts and 25mph curve limits are just for decorations. Lol. I think all the Ohio drivers instantly frowned when realizing they were stuck behind another Michigander who couldnt handle curves. Lol.

If i can identify the location of the spring I will let you know. I would also encourage eating at a ma and pop place in one of the area small towns. Do not expect to find much in the way of top notch gas stations once off 33.

Edited: 29 September 2017, 00:56
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

http://bit.ly/2xEDOSn

This is the spring. Worth a stop. We always use to load up with water here. Just driving through the small towns and farms, trees and hills, truely make a lovely day. Have a great one. :-)

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

I also really like Rock House (and it's a short hike) another favorite is Cantwell Cliffs

Okay- between Francis and I... I think we've now mentioned all as favorites. :)

Just pick and enjoy. there's really not a bad choice.

Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

Thanks for your response and we just may have to find that Spring! I think you’re right about not rushing through to try to see it all-going to enjoy a few spots instead 👍

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
3,057 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??

Hocking Hills is a classic Ohio Autumn visit.

Weekends tend to be very busy.

Reply to: Can you do all Hocking Hills in 1 day??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted