We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

5 posts
Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Hi,

I have a six hour layover in Gatwick and would like to get out to see some of the countryside, I was thinking of trying to see Nymans Gardens, and was wondering what is the best way to get to the Gardens/Hayward's Heath from Gatwick and how long would it take? I am also open to ideas of other places to sightsee that might be closer, easier to get to from Gatwick airport!

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

It's a great idea, but a taxi from HH will be almost as expensive as one from Gatwick. Factor in the train and you're better off biting the bullet and getting a taxi from the airport.

Afterwards, walk up to The Red Lion or The Royal Oak for something to eat, and get your return taxi from there.

Or - take a train to Horsham and head for the museum there.

Have fun !

Mike

Edited: 21 March 2016, 11:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Brighton and Lewes are only about 30 to 40 mins by train from Gatwick and either would make good places to visit.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,272 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

OK reality check time. A six hour layover does not give you six hours of free time.

Let's assume you have landed on time - quite a big ask at Gatwick, which is the world's busiest single-runway airport and where just a few flights arriving out of sequence can throw things into disarray. It will still take several minutes to deplane. Let's also assume that you haven't landed at one of those remote gates that requires you to walk through the Terminal for several minutes, or wait for everyone to board the shuttle buses. This will bring you to .....

.... UK Border Control. Oh joy, oh joy. I don't know what passport you hold but if it wasn't issued by a EU member state you could be waiting for up to an hour.

Luggage checked through? Good, at least that's something in your favour, you won't have to worry about depositing it in left luggage, reclaiming it and checking it in again.

Now, having left the secure area at Gatwick Airport, you have to queue at security to get back in again. And get back to your gate before it closes. Hopefully it's not one of the more remote gates that takes several minutes to get to. And gate closed, gate closed - you ain't getting on that plane. Although if you don't get through security before a certain cut-off time (can't remember if it is 35, 40 or 45 minutes at Gatwick) you may not be going to gate anyway.

So you have more like three hours, not six. Add the time and cost of getting to Nymans (because you will want that taxi to hang around and take you back, they don't exactly queue round the block there) for what, one hour tops?

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
1 post
158 reviews
4. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Your only viable option is taxi. There arent any public transport options. It is about a 20 minute journey from gatwick to nymans. Alternative places to visit near Haywards Heath (10 minutes by train)

Borde Hill gardens ½ mile taxi from from Haywards Heath station

Wakehurst Place. 6 mile taxi from Haywards Heath station.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

It's a 15 minute taxi ride. You can easily call a return one from Handcross when you're ready. Whilst you need to keep an eye on the time, Nymans really is perfectly possible.

Mike

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Please take note of Wirewiper's excellent post.

An awful lot of people say they have an x amount of hours layover because they land at a certain time and take off at another certain time without a clue of the airport they are coming into.

Gatwick can be less than an hour to get out of but often more than an hour,so a 3 hour deduction in my opinion is a minimum and you may well have less than 3 hours.

Consider also if you do go anywhere and are delayed then your onward flight is in jeopardy

5 posts
7. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Thanks. Yes I figured I was only dealing with about a 3 hour window, which is why I am trying to figure out if its doable given transportation time/availability.

5 posts
8. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Thank you.

5 posts
9. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

Thank you!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath

"Thanks. Yes I figured I was only dealing with about a 3 hour window, which is why I am trying to figure out if its doable given transportation time/availability"

Once again - perfectly doable. Just assess timings again when you get outside to the taxi rank at LGW.

Can you let us have your feedback on the Nymans mini-visit ? I'm sure it would prove helpful to others.

Mike

Reply to: Getting from Gatwick to Hayward's Heath
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haywards Heath