We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shillong to Mawlynnong

Assam
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shillong to Mawlynnong

Hi all,

planning to visit Mawlynnong in last week of DEC '12. How is the road condition, If we depart from Shillong at 09:00 hrs ( self driven car ) can we cover elephant falls, Skywalk & Living root bridge in Mawlynnong and reach Cherrapunjee before sunset ( by 4: 00 pm) comfortably. Whats latest update on road condition Shillong to Mawlynnong.

With regards.

Pradeep S

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Hi Pradeep.

If you start Shillong at 9am, cover Shillong Peak and Elephant Falls and then proceed to Mawlynnong, you should reach Mawlynnong at 1 (considering 30 mins Shillong Peak and 30mins Elephant Falls). Then 1 hour Mawlynnong (Skywalk is in Mawlynnong village; including Lunch) and 1 hour Living Root Bridge in Riwai village means you leave Mawlynnong area at 3pm. So you will reach Sohra only till 5.30-6pm.

Road from SHillong to Pongtung is good. From Pongtung - Mawlynnong it is in bad shape, until and unless someone repairs it by the time you reach here.

Karikor Kharkongor

Assam
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Thanks Karikor for a quick & valuable reply . Would explain you my delima before asking your further advice.

Visited Shillong - Cherra sector in Oct '12 also but missed Elephant Falls & Living root bridge as only a day visit was made to Sohra. Now DEC '12 plan is 2 nights stay in Shillong, 1 night in Cherra ( Coniferous resort, as could not get acco. in Cherra Resort) and next night in Bara-pani. So practically we have 2 full days to visit Cherra as on return from Coniferous resort we will be staying at Barapani for the next night. Would like to include living root bridge this time, So visit to Mawlynnong is better option or some other nearby Living root bridge in Cherra . The group include kids also !!.

Plz suggest , with best regards. - Pradeep

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

There are many living root bridges near Cherra Holiday Resort. However the best being the Double Decker in Nongriat and the Living Root bridge in Riwai. If time is a constraint, you may stick to Root Bridges in and around Sohra. However my advice would be:

Day 1- Start for SHillong.Halt

Day 2 - Shillong. Whole day sightseeng.Halt

Day 3- Leave early morning Sohra by 7am to reach Sohra by 9am. Then you have atleast 6 hours of daylight to do sightseeing.Enroute stop at Elephant Falls.Halt

Day4 - early morning by 7am leave for Mawlynnong. Skywalk, Living Root Bridge. Return after lunch to Umiam Lake. Halt.

Day 5- Return to Assam.

And Coniferous resort also has some good reviews.

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor

Assam
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Thanks Karikor, You have been of immense help to me and many others.

Edited: 07 December 2012, 18:40
Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Thak You Pradeep for your kind words. If you need any other help, do drop me a line. By the way the road to Mawlynnong will take longer than I had anticipated. So keep 1 hour extra.

Assam
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

All geared yp to visit Shillong- Cherra from this weekend. Please let me know which waterfalls ( around shilong / cherra) will be functional i mean flowing during this time ( last week of DEC) , so we can plan trip accordingly, Any update on Road to Mawlynnong , plz guide.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

As for waterfalls,the flow would have definitely reduced. However last week I visited Tyrshi Falls in Jaintia Hills and it was still half full.

Anyway coming back to what you had asked for:

Shillong:

Elephant Falls

Sweet Falls

Sohra:

Nohkalikai

Kynrem

Wah Kaba

Dain Thlen

Noh Sngi Thiang (must have gone down to a trickle)

As for roads to Mawlynnong, the road is being widened so it will take you around 4 hours to reach.

Regards,

Karikor Kharkongor

Assam
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Thanks a lot Karikor, 4 hrs from Shilling to Mawlynnong ? it seems we have to drop the plan to visit that beautiful place this time and look for allternate root bridge near sohra.

with best regrds.

pradeep S

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Well the maximum root bridges are near cherra holiday resort itself. So they can provide guides for u. Hope you have a great time.

Shillong, India
Level Contributor
705 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shillong to Mawlynnong

Well the maximum root bridges are near cherra holiday resort itself. So they can provide guides for u. Hope you have a great time.